Chrome Extension on Second Computer

I've been using 1Password for Windows for awhile. I switched from Firefox to Chrome a few months back, and installed the Chrome extension. Works great. Now I'm trying to install the Chrome extension on a second computer, a laptop. For the life of me I can not get it to connect. It asks for the master password, and then a counter starts. Nothing ever happens past that.

Am I correct that the extension can be used on two different computers? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

It asks for the master password, and then a counter starts. Nothing ever happens past that.

Something is blocking the (WebSockets-based) communications between the 1Password helper and the 1Password extension in your web browser. Probably a firewall, proxy, or anti-virus "solution".

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/helper-not-connected.html
    http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/antivirus-configuration.html

Am I correct that the extension can be used on two different computers?

Correct. There is no such limitation.

If so, what am I doing wrong?

You're doing nothing wrong but you probably need to configure your firewall, proxy, and/or anti-virus "solution". See links above.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

Just checking, @reedjam: You do have the main 1Password program installed on both computers, right?

If not:

1. Install Dropbox on the first computer.

2. On the General tab of 1Password preferences on the first computer, click the Move to Dropbox button.

3. Wait for Dropbox to finish copying your data up to your private dropbox.com web site.

4. Install Dropbox on the second computer, and associate it with the same Dropbox account.

5. Wait for Dropbox to finish copying your data down to the second computer from your private dropbox.com web site.

6. Install 1Password on the second computer, and accept its offer to use the 1Password data it finds in Dropbox.

I hope that helps, @reedjam. Please let us know how it goes.

• reedjam
    reedjam
    Community Member

Ah ha! No @DBrown, I actually don't have the main program installed on the second computer. I'd been under the assumption that the extension would just sync with the file that was in Dropbox, similarly to the way the iOS app does. I'll install the main program on the laptop now and see if that clears it up.

Thanks for the help guys!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Well, they're browser extensions because the extend the functionality of 1Password to the browsers. Without 1Password installed, there's nothing to extend (just as there'd be nothing to extend it to if you didn't have the browsers installed).

I'm glad to hear everything's working for you, now. Thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.