Dropbox syncing inconsistencies

Options
cortig
cortig
Community Member

Hi All,

I have in 1Password on my Mac 1548 items total and I'm syncing through Dropbox.
My iPad is fine and displays the same number of items.
On my iPhone though, 1Password says I have 1598 items… I can sync as much as I want, the number doesn't go down.

Now, I've cleaned things up in the more or less recent past and it could very well be that at some point I did have 1598 items indeed, but the iPhone app should see the deletions and display the proper number of items.

The easy way out would be to nuke 1Password on my iPhone and to let it sync fresh (and I bet it'll then see only 1548 items), but I wanted to report the issue here before doing anything in case you needed any additional information.

This is with the plain regular version of 1Password for iOS (4.5.2, not the 4.5.2RC1 we have in the beta since 4.5.2 is posterior to it).

Corentin

Comments

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

It does happen in the beta as well, since I pretty much use the beta always now unless it doesn't work for some reason. :)

First it stops syncing, saying some file is missing, then when you re-auth, you get this:

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

Well first it tells you they're different and not to merge. :)

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member
    Options

Saw the same issue when I added a new iOS device recently. Here is a way to fix it that is not for the faint of heart or if you don't understand what you are doing by following these directions ;-)

1. Identify where the single source of truth (SSoT) is. In my case, it was one of my Macs.
    2. Turned off syncing on all devices.

For all MacOS machines:

1. Remove the Dropbox file and folder for 1Password.
    2. With the exception of the SSoT machine, go into ~/Library/Application Support/ and delete the 1Password folder.
    3. With the exception of the SSoT machine, go into ~/Library/Caches and delete any folder with "com.agilebits" in the title.
    4. With the exception of the SSoT machine, empty the Trash. You may need to do this from the CLI by going to the .Trash directory and using "rm -fr" for the directory (folders) and files noted in the previous steps.
    5. Reboot all machines.

For all iOS devices:

1. Uninstall the 1Password application. It's the only way to purge the data reliably.

Now, redistribute from the SSoT:

1. Re-enable Dropbox syncing on the SSoT only. Let it create a new folder and file, and wait until it's done.

For all MacOS machines:

1. Ensure that Dropbox is on and that you can see the recreated 1Password folder from the Finder.
    2. Relaunch 1Password. It will auto-detect the file in Dropbox. Use that.
    3. Turn Dropbox syncing back on. All the item numbers will now match.

For all iOS devices:

1. Reinstall the app.
      14: Set up syncing via Dropbox, one at a time. Let each device finish syncing; this can take longer than MacOS. The item numbers should match.

Big, fat caveat: I don't work for Agilebits. Do this AYOR. Read every step first. If you aren't sure of what each step is actually doing, you may want to consider a different way to solve this.

Hope this helps.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I know uninstalling then reinstalling the app is an efficient way to correct the issue (though thanks for confirming). I was precisely holding off to make sure I could collect any information I'd need to collect to troubleshoot the issue before nuking it all…

Corentin

• donnywdavis
    donnywdavis
    Community Member
    Options

I am running version 4.5.2RC1 and I noticed that Dropbox syncing for my secondary vaults had been disabled and when I went to reenable it I got a vault mismatch message.

I selected a vault called Shared but the message is telling me that the data is different from the Primary vault.

When I select the More Info button the data presented doesn't match any of the vaults that I have. The Shared vault that I am selecting only has 12 items in it. So not sure where these numbers are coming from.

I had the same messages when viewing on the iPad. I removed the vaults on the iPad and added them back and everything seemed to sync properly now. I have not done this on the iPhone yet just in case I need to get any further data off of it.

• MrRooni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, folks. @corentin‌ We are aware of the problem that you're running into and have a fix in the works.

@donnywdavis‌ The number of items in a vault includes trashed items as well, so that may be artificially inflating it for you.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for letting me know MrRooni. I'll reset my data then.

Corentin

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @cortig,

Be sure to let us know how it turns out in the end.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Well when I reset the data, everything is fine.
    It starts drifting over time as items are added and deleted.

Corentin

• MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

Yea, that does lead to the possibility this is related to tombstones, Items you've deleted and emptied from the trash. We'll get this fixed as soon as possible as Mri Rooni mentioned.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for letting me know,

Corentin

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.