New Product Request: 1Password for Chrome OS

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

Across product segments, Chromebooks accounted for 21 percent of all notebook sales and 8 percent of all computer and tablet sales during the period, up from one tenth of a percent in 2012, says NPD.

More to the point, Chromebooks are now outselling Macs!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

…"in commercial sector".

It will be interesting to see how much those devices end up being used in the long run (and by people who aren't just forced to use them for work). :)

Obviously there is a market, but the exact size of it doesn't matter as much for our purposes as the portion of it that would be 1Password customers. That's what a thread like this is helpful in determining (however unscientific it may be).

Please do keep the feedback coming!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Chromebooks make good second computers, and Amazon reports that they were flying out the door this month. From last Thursday’s press release—

Holiday Best Sellers (Amazon.com only):

• Tablets: Kindle Fire HD; Kindle Fire HDX 7”; Kindle Fire HDX 8.9”
    • TVs: Samsung 32” Smart LED HTDV; Samsung 40” LED HDTV; Samsung 22” Slim LED HDTV
    • Laptops: Samsung Chromebook; ASUS Transformer Book; Acer Chromebook

I wonder how many existing 1Password users found a Chromebook under the tree last week.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I wonder how many existing 1Password users found a Chromebook under the tree last week.

Good question! Let me know if you uncover any data on this. It sounds like exactly what we have been trying to figure out ourselves. :)

• guesswho369
    guesswho369
    Community Member

This would certainly make Android/Chrome users happy. It's the perfect marriage: Android/Googleheads use GoogleDrive extensively, and needing Dropbox to the equation adds extra complexity and risk. Not to mention introducing Google drive compat would potentially grow your bus into a whole new market (Chromebooks).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know you are interested in this!

Google Drive support is not outside the realm of possibility, but we've (almost) always refrained from discussing future plans because we really dislike the idea of disappointing folks if there are reasons — however valid they may be — we need to abandon a plan.

• Robertbelt
    Robertbelt
    Community Member

+1 for the chrome extension! Have been a user of 1password for a good year now and loving it. Purchased a HP chromebook over a month for my day to day work (consultant) and absolutely loving it. But, now also realising how much I rely on 1password on my "normal" windows laptop. The workaround (1passwordanywhere) is handy but nowhere near being practical. Also wouldn't mind myself if you charge for the chrome extension, I need it! ;)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added! Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback, @Robertbelt. :D

• DealBrooklyner
    DealBrooklyner
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Another +1 for Chromebook support.

I have been testing a Toshiba Chromebook for my office and loving it; except for the dance I need to do to get 1password working (For the other geeks on the thread: my current workflow involves running 1password for Windows in a Wine environment, running within a Crouton Linux chroot, running within ChromeOS. There is no copy and paste, but I can at least can do lookups on the same machine).

We are a small office of software developers who do almost all of our work on remote UNIX servers through a shell, so Chromebooks make excellent sense for us and there are probably a dozen licenses in this for you guys.

I expect that there are a bunch of firms like us out there, since development has largely moved to online storage. Shouldn't be difficult to do the market sizing.

Either Dropbox or Google Drive syncing would suffice for storage, but access to a local file on the Chromebook might be better.

Hope this helps,

-DealBrooklyner

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing this, @DealBrooklyner‌. I'll make sure the developers are aware of your use case and desire for better support on Chrome OS. We really appreciate you taking the time. :)

• adamglazier
    adamglazier
    Community Member

This thread is 2 years old with no sign of a Chrome OS solution in the works. If someone from 1Password could confirm that a solution was less than 12 months away, then I would wait for it.

I've been a passionate 1password user since it first arrived, however I need a more integrated solution with my Chromebook.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @adamglazier,

We have the best customers on the planet, and I am reminded of it time after time. You obviously care enough to contact us about this. Thank you for your passion! I wish more folks in this world shared it.

We deeply appreciate customer input and take it into account constantly. We have always preferred to let the software speak for itself rather than trying to lure people in with promises of future features or products. In fact, I'd never encourage anyone to purchase 1Password (or any product) based on claims of future features or versions. On the contrary, I would advise you and others to always use the tool that meets your needs as best as possible today. If that's not 1Password for you at this time (on your Chrome OS device(s) or otherwise), then we will keep working hard in the hopes that one day it is.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have passed your vote for this along to the developers and would be happy to pass any additional feedback to them as well.

• jturmel
    jturmel
    Community Member

Count me as a vote wanting Chrome OS support and official Google Drive support.

• Thanks for the vote, @jturmel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member

I strongly disagree.

ChromeOS is just another 'experiment' from Google that's not going to take off (and it hasn't. See: Chromebooks, Pixel, ...). It'll just go the way of Google Wave (which I massively enjoyed).

• Thanks for sharing your feedback, @revenkyte.

• Danielle Burgess
    Danielle Burgess
    Community Member

+1
    I've been using chromebooks for 90% of all my computer needs (including web development) since I fell in love with the original CR-48 beta which unexpectedly showed up on my doorstep four years ago. MOST of my friends own at least one, and I've recently started proselytizing 1Password as my favorite password manager. Additionally, chromebooks have supported native apps since early 2012. I humbly propose that there are no remaining blockers for this app's development. ;-) (And I'd use the f*** out of it...)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your perspective (and kind words about 1Password), Danielle!

• teriross
    teriross
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

Another +1 for Chromebook support from @yourCMTO

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added! Thanks, @teriross‌. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Obviously there is a market [for Chromebooks], but the exact size of it doesn't matter as much for our purposes as the portion of it that would be 1Password customers.

Marketing 1Password to schools would greatly expand your user base, and Chromebooks are making major inroads in education.

• msuding
    msuding
    Community Member

+1 for me. I bought and use a Chromebook for myself, my wife, my daughter, and my father in law.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you too would be interested in this!

• dmayo2
    dmayo2
    Community Member

+2 here.
    I'm in the software field and rely on my 1P on my mac. My wife isn't so tech and her needs are web browsing and email, thus she's using a chromebook for last 18 months (ready for a newer one). Just got an LG chromebase for eldest kid (second grader) who doesn't need the power of a real mac, nor the problems that a 7-year old invites on a windows box, plus the fact that her school system is migrating from WinXP to ChromeOS, all begs for 1P on ChromeOS. So, as the family shares this new chomebase, and the fact that we can't find a decent password manager for my wife (I'm afraid of the passwords we thus need to use for our banks and such) on her chromebook -- there's at least two more licences for your developers to ponder.
    PLEASE.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dmayo2‌

Thanks so much for your feedback here! I'll be sure to share your thoughts with our developers.

• Chris_K
    Chris_K
    Community Member

Yes, another +1 from me. I absolutely love 1Password (and am trying to get coworkers on board as well). However, it is quite an inconvenience to not have easy access on my Chromebook. Clearly Chromebooks are on the rise, and web-based computing is the future (and largely present), so I hope AgileBits can figure out a way to cleanly implement 1Password on Chromebooks. Regardless, keep up the good work--I've never had such peace of mind with my passwords!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your kind words, @Chris_K! Your vote has definitely been counted. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

• teriross
    teriross
    Community Member

I notice this post was started nearly 4 years ago, with ongoing requests. Is there a plan to support Chrome OS? I can't imagine the programming is much of a departure from Android OS, which you already support. Would appreciate some feedback from the development team. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @teriross,

Thanks so much for checking in on us! You're right, this thread has been around for quite a while. Unfortunately we're a small team, and the day is never long quite enough for all the cool stuff we want to do. So at this time, I don't have much of an update for you on this issue.

We are listening to all your feedback though - it's great to know that there is interest out there for 1Password on Chrome OS!

• Collin Ong
    Collin Ong
    Community Member

Add another request for Chromebook version. I use 1P on Mac (mainly) but also on Win, iPad and Android phone. The lack of 1P on my new Chromebook really limits how much I can use it.

This discussion has been closed.