Auto-Login Problems with Forums based on vBulletin?

Options
Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Comments

• Ben
    Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Syzygies
    Syzygies
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, it is over two years later, and one of my favorite forums switched to vBulletin 5. Everyone who uses 1Password is now experiencing the same problem: They manually click on "login" on the upper right corner of the page, and a User Name, Password drop down box appears. Now use the 1Password browser assistant to fill in these fields. One gets the error "You have entered an invalid username or password. Please enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!".

Instead filling in these fields manually by copying from 1Password (to insure entries are correct) and one logs in fine.

vBulletin itself has a forum http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ where one can easily sign up and experience this problem.

I reported this last month to AgileBits. I heard nothing in reply, which is fine except that leaves me not knowing whether they "accepted" or "rejected" the problem. Update Version 4.0.7 (407005) didn't mention this issue, and it is not fixed. If I'm on my own to convince vBulletin to join the civilized world in engaging in standardized behavior, I need to know.

I'd like to see AgileBits display some leadership in documenting what is standardized behavior. Before, say, OS X Mavericks does, stealing market share. What web page can I point the vBulletin team to, that patiently explains how compliant web sites should be written?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Syzygies,

Thanks for adding your feedback here! I do apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience. While we are constantly working to improve 1Password's filling feature, this type of issue isn't something that you are likely to see in a version update.

I was able to create a successful Login for the vBulletin site using the following steps:

• Visit the site, click the Login/SignUp button and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    • Click the + button in the corner.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

Please note, to revisit the site, I closed the vBulletin tab in my browser, then clicked the extension and started typing the name of the entry, than hit Enter to have 1Password open the site. The Login filled and submitted as expected, but since I was using dummy information, it clearly bounced back with an error. Let me know if you have better luck with your newly saved Login. :)

Actually, outlining some standardized behaviour is on our to do list. We'd love to make it easier for web developers to design sites that work seamlessly with 1Password. In the meantime, 1Password looks for semantic html. In particular, as Jamie mentions above, "If the button does not have a name, 1Password may not be able to press it."

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here to help if you need anything further.

This discussion has been closed.