Missing PW generator and saving logins in 1Browser [Confirmed on generator, auto-save not yet imp]

Options
tjcarter
tjcarter
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

I don't know if these features were ever present in the iOS version, but they're definitely missing now that 1Browser has become a more full-featured browser in 1P4 for iOS. I just used a completely pathetically lame password on a new account tonight because I was creating it on my iPad and hadn't the means to do any better. As soon as I save this post, I intend to correct that now that I'm home.

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @tjcarter,

The password generator has been in the iPad app for a while. We're still redesigning the app and haven't added back the generator to the 1Browser. We do intend to re-implement it. We never had auto-save support in 1Browser but it is something we plan to support in a future update.

Thanks for pinging us about this, I'll nudge the team to add this sooner. :)

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks—a few people I know use iPads as their primary computing devices. And they use terrible passwords because … well, yeah. :)

• truongtr
    truongtr
    Community Member
    Options

And some suggestions from logins when typing something on address bar would be awesome too. Coz now it takes so many steps to open a page.
    As in mac, I just type "fa" then "facebook" comes out then.. BOOM! I got logged in and use facebook :D
    Please support in the future update!

As of that time, iCloud keychain will become obsolete no more no less :D

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

I much prefer the idea of completing addresses from my saved logins to the usual way of sending text as you type to Google. I do not trust Google and I want to keep them as far from my data as possible. Being somewhat security-conscious (why else would I be here?), my current search engine of choice is DuckDuckGo. They don't keep track of who you are and what you're searching for. Oh the NSA probably does, but what do you expect from an Orwellian surveillance state?

• gregspeechley
    gregspeechley
    Community Member
    Options

Auto completing the url from saved logins would be awesome!

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

We had something like that in the 4.3 version of the iPad's 1Browser, there's a bookmark icon on the address bar. You tap on it, it'll bring down all the Logins you have, you can search for the site you want to open. It can also fill it in as well, so similar to Go and Fill on the desktops.

We do want to improve 1Browser to make it the best browser to use, so we want to add history, address bar completion based on history and saved Logins, bookmarks, and many more. I don't have an estimate timeframe on when it'll happen but it's a dream of us to make it happen.

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

We appreciate that! If there's something we can help with, let us know… :)

• parasight
    parasight
    Community Member
    Options

I'm looking forward to those 1Browser additions! I've started using it more frequently and could really use a history and auto-completion. :)

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks, guys. I've added your feedback to our tracker. The more we hear, the more we want to do it. :)

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

I like auto-completion, but I also like turning it off. :) My default search is not Google anymore. Nor is it Bing or Yahoo. I don't trust Google, and I give them as little of my data as I can. Oh make no mistake, they've got a lot. But I'm not volunteering anything they haven't if I can help it. Certainly not before I've even decided that I want to search for something or not, or which websites I am thinking about visiting! Since I cannot stop this invasion of privacy in MobileSafari no matter what I do, I always leave MobileSafari in Private Browsing Mode.

DuckDuckGo is my usual first search engine. What the big deal is all about: http://donttrack.us/

Now, extrapolate what you read at donttrack.us to you typing in websites you want to go to by name. If you use MobileSafari, by default, Google knows that. And if they don't, Microsoft or Yahoo do. There are engines that offer completion without tracking, but Apple doesn't give you any of those choices.

In a nutshell, I find it quite amusing that Google gives you more control over whether or how much of your data you give them (or anyone else for that matter) in Chrome than Apple does in Safari. Glims fixes that on the desktop (if not as elegantly as does Chrome), but for mobile…? Well, I have high hopes for 1Browser. :)

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @tjcarter,

The auto-completion wouldn't be based on searches but rather the URLs we have in your 1Password database and the 1Browser's history of other sites you've already visited. You will be able to reset the history or turn it off.

We do try to restrict as much as we can any outgoing traffic as we share the same concerns with you guys.

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like you guys are already thinking the same direction I am with such things. :) I don't carry a laptop anymore. Why? The iPad is as functional in most ways I care about, and in some more so. There are a few edge cases )ferinstance one YouTube video that refused to play on my iPad no matter what I did, including using Puffin on the YouTube website)), but generally speaking… Either I want a big honking 25+ inch screen and my desktop, or a nice, tidy little tablet, often with a compact desktop-class keyboard if I'm going to be doing a lot of text entry. In fact, this text is being typed into 1Browser now. :)

So for me, 1P on iOS ought to be as complete as possible. And my dear GF uses an iPad as her primary computer. Trying to get her away from bad password habits, but 1P on iOS isn't quite there yet. But I'm confident it will be, and I'm glad I get to poke around at it and help where I can.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @tjcarter,

We hear you. We're heard similar requests from many users like you guys, that they'd like 1Browser to be a fully featured browser. They want to use 1Browser as the default browser on all of their devices but it's not just there yet.

We're working as fast as humanly possible to make that happen while also improving the core features of 1Password. Hopefully, Apple can help us out as well by continuing to work on their UIWebview technologies and hopefully, provide the ability to set app defaults.

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    Options

I already do use it as my primary browser, FWIW. :) It works well enough—though I manage to crash it with Amazon on a fairly regular basis. You guys probably have my crash reports on that since I have set 1P to send them.

• MrRooni
    Options

Hello @tjcarter‌. I fixed a handful of 1Browser-related crashers for 4.5.2, so hopefully you will see it crashing a lot less. Thanks for sending in those reports!

This discussion has been closed.