eWallet Converter for 1Password

Options
MrC
MrC
Volunteer Moderator
edited October 2014 in Mac

I've created a script to convert your eWallet data into a format that can be imported by 1Password. The script can be run on OS X or Windows.

Edit: this version of the converter has been obsoleted. The new and improved version is located here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30286/mrcs-convert-to-1password-utility/p1

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Options

You're welcome.

If you understand the CSV format, you can delete entries in the converted text files, or import to a spreadsheet as CSV, delete or change the desired rows, and save.

It is probably much easier though to delete within 1P4, since each entry is essentially like a row in a spreadsheet.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @Tangible‌,

The import guide suggests:

If the data you have is not in this [correct column] order, you can use a spreadsheet program such as Numbers or Excel to open the CSV file and rearrange the columns into the proper order.

@jcornelius recently used Excel to rearrange columns in his CSV data exported from Wallet.

But I may have misunderstood your question and using @MrC's eWallet Converter makes that pre-import column rearranging unnecessary.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I think Wallet and eWallet have different export formats. eWallet does not export as CSV, but is an ambiguously formatted stream of entries in a text file.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that, @MrC. I'm really striking out here. Carry on! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Sorry about that

I can reproduce the problem. It is due to an inconsistency in the way eWallet exports the data. I didn't create samples of all the card types, and through trial and error I discovered yours was a Membership type card. There is no info that indicates the card type, so I have to guess based on the present fields and field labels. In your case, Membership info uses the same field headers as Software, and different then other type of Logins.

I've corrected the issue, and will create sample cards of all types to be sure I can detect all the types correctly. I'll post the update later today.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Options

Ok, I've updated the code to handle all card types and better detect types. A login type will be used when a username and password field exists, except when a software license or credit card type is detected (because they have other specific fields that trigger setting the type).

Please re-download the zip file and re-run the conversion to create new import files.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Options

Great, thanks for the feedback.

There is currently no mechanism to designate a folder. Only certain fields are available on import, and there currently are only 4 import types supported by 1Password 4.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I suppose I could add an option to do that, which you could set for spreadsheet-only use.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!

As 1P4 gets more import capabilities, I'll update this (and my other conversion scripts) to utilize the new functionality.

I think version 4.2 adds the ability to append additional field data to login types. These will import as field labels "Field1", "Field2", ..., "FieldN". If you'd prefer that the stuff I place in Notes goes into these fields, I could place both the label and value in a field. This way, you could just Cut the label from the label/value pair, and paste it over FieldN. E.g.:

Field1: Category: My Cards
    Field2: PIN: 9999
    Field3: Provider: MyProvider
    Field4: Card Number: 2247565

etc.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @MrC,

Based on your awesome scripts, if there are additional data structure you'd like us to add to the import process, please let us know. You can send me PMs if you want.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Thanks MikeT. I'll send you some suggestions / ideas.

• MikeT
    Options

Great, thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I've completed a major overhaul of the eWallet to 1P4 conversion script, and I'm really happy with the results.

It now supports creating a 1PIF file (this is the default type), and more eWallet card types are imported into the corresponding 1P4 types. Also working really well is the mapping of your eWallet fields into existing or new 1P4 fields in the various sections of any card.

The converter using the default 1PIF format now works really well on Windows too (CSV imports are problematic, due to one or more bugs in 1P4 for Windows).

I haven't written up the new instructions yet, but will do so shortly, and will then post the update. Should anyone want it ahead of time, let me know and I'll get you a copy.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You feel like testing it out on a test vault to see how well it works for you?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The new script is now live, and has updated ReadMe instructions. It will export to 1PIF by default since this format has excellent importing capabilities on OS X and Windows (the script can still export to the more limited CSV format).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This was noted before by another user. I failed to include an instruction in the ReadMe to install a necessary module. In the command shell, enter:

ppm install JSON-XS

and then the script should run.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Options

Arg, that's really embarrassing. Sorry about that. You are on OS X.

Ok, I've uploaded a new version of the script - please re-download the zip. I had to replace a UUID generation module I was using, since it is not available on OS X by default (and installing it is hard for users), and I had to change the the JSON module to use one that is already included on OS X.

I tested this release in my virtual machine, so this should work now.

Why did this happen? I develop on a system that has many software components installed, but those are not available on a stock OS X install, so when I tested this, I failed to test it in a pristine VM. That won't happen again.

• Alfonso Bongiorno
    Alfonso Bongiorno
    Community Member
    Options

Dear MrC,
    thanks a lot for your efforts - I'm so delighted your script managed to solve my problem (at a first glance, the import seems to be correct). I have 1Password 4.4 and eWallet 7.3, just for your records ;-)

Great job, thousands of thanks again.
    Alfonso

This discussion has been closed.