Difference between $5 monthly fee and $64.99 one time fee?

TomHB
TomHB
Community Member

I don't understand the difference between the $5 monthly fee and the $64.99 fee. Do you need both?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Difference between $5 monthly fee and $64.99 one time fee?

Comments

• Hi @TomHB,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

1Password for Families is a new subscription service that we're offering. The subscription includes access to all of our compatible apps for up to 5 family members (additional family members can be added for $1/mo each). It is not necessary to also purchase a license in order to access your Families data. You can read more about the 1Password for Families service here:

1Password for Families

A 1Password license gives a single individual access to the 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows standalone apps. The standalone apps are still very much in production and are fully supported. In fact they are a key component of, and are included with, our Families subscription service. But the new service does offer some functionality that we cannot offer with the standalone apps.

The primary difference between using the standalone apps without a subscription and having the subscription service is that with the standalone apps your data is only stored locally (on your devices) and potentially with a 3rd party sync service such as Dropbox or iCloud (if configured). With Families and its counterpart 1Password for Teams your encrypted data is stored with AgileBits. We still do not have access to this data -- it is encrypted by your computer before being sent to us (just like what happens with Dropbox or iCloud), but this enables us to do some really great things in terms of sharing, web access, smoother experience in having your data on all of your devices, etc.

It is definitely worth signing up for a 1Password for Families account and trying it out.

I hope that helps!

Ben

P.S. Until April 14th we're running a launch special for Families which comes with some nice goodies:

AgileBits Blog | Introducing 1Password for Families

• TomHB
    TomHB
    Community Member

Hard to understand the pricing model.

• Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. There are really just two options:

1Password, or 1Password for Families.

1Password is sold as a license and covers one individual's usage on Mac and Windows. It also includes the basic versions of our mobile apps.

1Password for Families is a subscription which gives 5 family members the ability to use 1Password on Mac, Windows, and also includes the Pro versions of our mobile apps.

1Password for Families is going to be the right choice for most folks, but if you'd really just prefer to not have a subscription then we do still sell 1Password licenses. These do not include the 1Password for Families service, which enables more advanced sharing features, web access to your data, etc.

If you have specific questions we'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks.

Ben

• IAgirl
    IAgirl
    Community Member

I just purchased the license at the Apple App Store, not knowing that there was an alternative to buying the license. It sounds like the subscription service would have been a better option. Is there a way to undo my purchase of the license?

• Hi @IAgirl,

Unfortunately we cannot refund purchases from Apple directly, but if you can please drop us an email to sales@1password.com we'd be happy to explain the options.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@IAgirl: if you happen to live in a country in the European Union and your purchase was made less than 14 days ago getting a refund should be easy:

https://9to5mac.com/2014/12/29/app-store-itunes-refunds-eu/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow. Thanks for sharing that! I had no idea. Maybe I need to move... :lol:

• florian_shoochter
    florian_shoochter
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Hi, i purchased the 1password app for mac in the app store 4 weeks ago, now agile bits tells me that my trial is over and freezes the account. your support didn't response for three days. please give me an answer asap. Thank you

• Hi @florian_shoochter,

I'm sorry about that. I've found your account and I have reset your trial while we figure out what's going on. Can you give me your support request id that you should received after emailing in to support?

Thanks

Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@florian_shoochter: Indeed, if you do not add payment information to the 1Password.com Account for the subscription service, it will be frozen after the free trial. When you purchase from the App Store, there is no account associated with this, since AgileBits does not have access to that, only Apple.

Just wanted to follow up here to mentioned that I've found your email and I'll reply there shortly so we can help you get everything sorted out.

ref: DIL-45897-111

• Nudals
    Nudals
    Community Member

I'm also having the same issue as @florian_shoochter. I have recently purchased 1Password in the app store for $64.99 and now it is telling me that my free trial is over and that my account is now frozen. Can someone please fix this problem. Thanks!

• florian_shoochter
    florian_shoochter
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Hi, my account has the same problem still. After reseting the trial, I tried all support hints. But after 4 weeks now the trial is over again and it will freeze my account again. Please tell me step by step how to get out of this misery. Thank you, Florian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@florian_shoochter, @Nudals: Thanks for reaching out. I’m really sorry for the confusion! If you purchased a license for the standalone 1Password app, this does not apply to the subscription service. So if you also signed up for the subscription service, it may be best to choose one or the other, rather than using and paying for both. A 1Password.com subscription is a great choice, since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data, but if you prefer the license then don't use the subscription and you will not be charged for it.

I don't see any license purchases though, so if you would prefer a refund for the app so you can use the subscription and bought it from Apple, you'd need to seek a refund from them. However, if you'll send a copy of your receipt to support@1password.com we'll see if there's anything we can do to help there, and also assist you with any changes you want to make to your setup as well. Without any basic information in your posts about what you're using and what you'd like to do, it's impossible to offer next steps, but post the Support ID in response to your email here and we'll get things sorted out for you. :)

• florian_shoochter
    florian_shoochter
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

thank you for your reply.
    I'm sorry that we having so much trouble with your product, but I'm confident we sort that out!
    1# It works good! So it's not the product in general, I'm very happy with it!
    2# But; I installed it after downloading it from the app store after purchasing for € 65. So i used it as I thought how to use it. Then you it send me after some days the message that my trial is over. Hurray - what a trial? I purchased it.

Thats exactly where something went wrong - and I do not know the solution

It's very nice that in every posting of you you advertise the license option and it's feature.
    If i would have known earlier, thats my way! It seems to be more powerful than the much more expensive Apple App store version (Not a good picture by the way)

But now - as I paid already - let me use your product like you sell it with apple.
    With your last recommendations it wasn't possible. When I took the data offline and unsubscribed it didn't work.

Let's do it step by step:
    My system, works by now - Can I save my existing passwords etc offline and use it after a reinstall?
    Then I would log out, uninstall, unsubscribe whatever and start again from scratch with the app.

If that doesn't work - is there a real chance to get refund by apple after more than 8 weeks ?

Kind regards,

Florian

PS: Maybe it would be a good idea to compare the two versions somewhere, like you do if you choose between two products in a web store with all the features. This would show the differences.

• florian_shoochter
    florian_shoochter
    Community Member

Ok I think i got the solution by myself. I copied all logins (one by one) etc. to a local safe. then I signed out from your account and voila, it works. For me it's good. The question is now, why did I have the online account? This misleads a bit and wasn't clear that this is another product, nothing to do with the one I bought from the app store. Maybe something to look from your side, to prevent another problems like mine! Thank you and good bye, Florian

• Thanks for the update Florian! We are working on making this less of a problem for the future. We appreciate your feedback on it, and I'm glad to hear ultimately you were able to sort everything out.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@florian_shoochter: Indeed, this is confusing, and it's our fault. I'm sorry for that. We just know that some folks prefer a standalone license to a subscription (and in fact that was the only option for the first 10 years!), so we didn't want to remove that option. This results in situations like the one you ended up in, and I apologize for the trouble that caused. The silver lining is that it sounds like all is well for you now, and that no matter what, we're here to help. I hope you had a great weekend and enjoy the week to come. And don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance! :blush:

• pravit
    pravit
    Community Member

Hi I am facing the same issue. submitted support request [#FJV-11851-531]. Bought 1Password from Mac app store for $64.99 and now my account says is "frozen" please assist in resolving.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pravit: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you signed up for a 1Password.com Account, but purchased the app instead of subscribing. I'll reply via email shortly and we'll get things sorted out for you.

ref: FJV-11851-531

• pravit
    pravit
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks, replied back to your email.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.