1Password 3 extension for Chrome running on a Samsung Chromebook

paulbear
paulbear
Community Member

Hi Can any one help please - I couldn't find an appropriate category to post this in hence I've used the Agile Lounge section - sorry if this is wrong.
I use 1Password on all my Mac computers and hold and sync the 1Password database file on Dropbox.

I've just purchased a Samsung Chromebook and via the Chrome OS WebStore installed the 1Password extension [version: 3.9.18.90], The Chrome OS version is 27.0.1453.116 which is the latest version.

On the 'key' icon at the top of the Chrome browser window there is a red ! mark shown. When I click on this icon & I enter my master password I get a message stating 'Connecting ... 999' with the number 999 just counting up from 1. Initially I thought that it might be syncing with the Dropbox file and so I left it. But after the number getting above 4000, I thought something must be wrong. I've tried deleting the extension and re-installing it several times but I still get the same issue. At no time did 1Password ask me [on the Chromebook] where my password database file was located.

My Macbook Pro [on the same network] is working fine with the 1Password extension in Safari, Chrome & Firefox browsers.
Can anyone help me please.

Regards
Paul

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulbear,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble and apologize for any confusion. As stated in the 1Password Chrome extension description:

IMPORTANT: This extension requires the 1Password desktop application for Mac or Windows, sold separately and available at https://agilebits.com/onepassword

Since it is not possible to install 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows on a Chromebook, the extension will not work. In order to function, the 1Password extension needs to communicate with a native background process that is part of the 1Password application. This is not possible on a Chromebook since it is only designed to run web apps not native apps.

The good news is that 1PasswordAnywhere is a web app, and it should work just fine on a Chromebook. In fact, many 1Password users who are also Chromebook owners use 1PasswordAnywhere. It is a free web app that is already built into your data file. Here is the section in the User Guide which explains how it works:

1PasswordAnywhere

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

• paulbear
    paulbear
    Community Member

Hi Khad
    Thanks so much for your speedy, comprehensive & easy to follow explanation.
    I'm mainly a Mac fan & so I've used to native apps & so I'm geeting used to Chrome OS's Web App approach.

I've since followed your advice and on my Chromebook, accessed 1PasswordAnywhere via Dropbox. Excellent.
    Once again thanks again for your help.
    Regards
    Paul

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.