Tor Browser Bundle

Options
Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Comments

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for raising a dead thread, but TorBrowser is based on Firefox ESR (currently 17.0.6). I managed to get as far as getting the 1P 3.9.12 ESR extension installed (per instructions in this thread). The extension seems to load properly, but when I enter my password in the field and press Enter, nothing happens (the message "Connecting..." appears, counting seconds, apparently forever). Anyone have an idea where it might be going off the rails?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Does the 1Password extension work for you in Safari and Chrome? I'm trying to determine if the issue is in Firefox specifically or we should be looking further upstream at the 1Password Helper. The answer to that question will be most insightful. :)

Thanks!

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, the 1P extension is working fine in both Safari and Chrome, in both Windows 7 and Mac OS X.

The symptoms I posted above were using TorBrowser on Windows 7. I just tried TorBrowser in Mac OS X and had a different experience. On entering my password in the field and pressing enter, I saw the "Connecting..." message for 1 or 2 seconds, then "Syncing..." for another 3 or 4 seconds, then the 1P pane popped up; it appeared to have my 1P info but also the red 'stop sign' warning button that there is a problem with the helper. I restarted TorBrowser, and this time the 1P extension loaded without the warning button. So, it appears to be successful in Mac OS X!

One possible difference: I had vanilla Firefox installed on the Windows 7 machine. Maybe that caused a conflict with the ESR version Torbrowser uses... I'll try uninstalling vanilla FF on the Windows machine tomorrow and try TorBrowser there again tomorrow.

• Ben
    Options

I believe the issue is the way that TorBrowser handles network connections. The way the 1Password extension works is through a network connection (within your computer, it never actually goes out over a network interface) and Tor (either in TorBrowser or as an extension to Firefox etc) causes these connections to get routed improperly.

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I uninstalled vanilla FF on the Windows 7 machine. The 1P ESR extension is still installed in TorBrowser. I am still seeing the same symptoms as before (just seeing the "Connecting..." message forever). I notice that in the 1P Preferences (Browsers pane), the button for "Mozilla Firefox" is grayed out and says "Install Firefox Extension". I clicked on the Mozilla Firefox link to point 1P to the TorBrowser executable "tbb-firefox.exe", but the button is still grayed out. I wonder if that is significant?

I'd like to believe it's just an issue with how TorBrowser handles network connections, but in that case I don't understand why the 1P extension would work on the Mac OS X version but not the Windows 7 version. According to the TorBrowser connection settings dialog (i.e. the Firefox ESR connection settings dialog), it's using a SOCKS5 proxy at 127.0.0.1:9150 but explicitly excludes 127.0.0.1 from using the proxy (so I would think it would not interfere with 1P's operation, but I'm not an expert).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to say that only Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer are supported. Additionally, Tor Browser Bundle is run from a USB flash drive. It is self-contained. As such, 1Password cannot work in it. Integration requires integration. That is to say, 1Password extension integration requires the browser to be installed (i.e. integrated) on the system.

My apologies for not catching that earlier, although Stu did mention it over two years ago in his post.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer at this time, but please let me know if you are having trouble with an installed version of one of the supported browsers.

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    edited June 2013
    Options

No worries, I understand that TorBrowser isn't supported, and I had read Stu's post. I was just trying to see if it could actually be made to work, and it appears it can in Mac OS X without hassle, and now also in Windows 7 with a bit more work.

I finally got it to work in Windows 7 by replacing the default Firefox profile with the TorBrowser profile (i.e. delete the default FF profile then move and rename the TB profile), and then using the TorBrowser/Firefox profile manager to launch TorBrowser using the default Firefox profile (easiest way to do this is to create a shortcut pointing to tbb-firefox.exe with the -p commandline switch).

Have I voided my warranty yet? ;)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad you were able to get it working! Thanks for sharing your steps with other folks who may wish to try this [unsupported] setup. It sounds like a pretty simple solution, so I can't imagine it causing too much trouble down the road. We just can't guarantee compatibility as Tor, Firefox, and 1Password are updated. :)

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    edited September 2013
    Options

Just posting this for reference in case it helps someone else. TBB 3.0 (currently in alpha) appears to hard-code the profile location to the PortableFirefox directory they use, so my method above of makingTBB use the official Firefox profile location will no longer work.

I have been able to get 1P to continue working by making hardlinks for the 1P extension in the other direction (i.e. let TBB 3.0 use its portable profile location and install the 1P extension there, but in the official Firefox profile location put hardlinks to the 1P files that are in the portable profile). I've only tested this on Windows so far (use the "mklink /h [link] [target]") command--shortcuts won't work) but I imagine it should work similarly on the Mac (again, using the "ln" command in Terminal--not aliases).

I found 3 files that seem related to 1P; not sure if they're all essential to this working but just in case I made hardlinks for each:

• "OnePassword.sqlite" (in the "..\Firefox\Profiles" folder)

• "onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi" (in the "..\Firefox\Profiles[defaultprofilename]\extensions" folder)

• "store.json" (in the "..\Firefox\Profiles[defaultfoldername]\jetpack\onepassword@agilebits.com\simple-storage" folder)

Obviously, this isn't supported and will break if the location of the 1P extension files change or later versions start using different files (make new links in that case). Also the file locations might be different on the Mac, haven't checked yet.

I should also have put a disclaimer earlier that I don't know if there are any security/privacy implications for TBB to have 1P linked in to TBB (I don't think so, at least not more than having the 1P extension installed in official Firefox, but I'm not qualified to say if it does or not). If you have unusually-high privacy concerns as your reasons for using TBB (that's not me, obviously), you might want to not hack around it like this; but you probably already knew that.

Hope this is helpful.

• Hi @Froderick!

I appreciate you taking the time to update this [unsupported] set-up. The three files that you found are essential, so I would keep all of them :)

I haven't tried this myself, but I believe 1Password 4 for Mac simplifies things greatly and should it quite a bit easier for you - look for some release information soon! If you'd like to get in on the Beta now, I can get you linked up with our testing team :)

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    Options

Just got 1Password 4 (unfortunately I was not available for beta testing, but thanks for the offer Sara). It looks very nice!

Unfortunately, it appears that 3.x versions of the browser extensions aren't compatible with 1P4 (have I got that right?). And it looks like the latest version of the Firefox ESR browser extension is 3.9.12ESR. I tried to install the official 4.x browser extension, it says it's not compatible with this version of Firefox (current versions of TBB are built off of Firefox 17.0.9 ESR; it sounds like the Tor project is working to migrate to 23.x ESR but this may not happen until 17.x ESR reaches official end-of-life).

I'm not sure if it's a simple compatibility check that could be disabled or if it actually uses functionality 17.0.9 ESR can't provide... I may experiment with that some other time (have to head to bed now). For now, using the new 1Password Mini app in the menu bar is a workaround (1Password has spoiled me... copy/pasting login IDs and passwords separately seems so klunky now!).

BTW, 1Password Mini is a great improvement on the old menubar widget--kudos!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @froderick,

You are right, unfortunately. The version 4 extensions will not work on Tor because it uses a version of Firefox that is just too old.

I am glad to hear though that you like 1Password Mini :)

This discussion has been closed.