How do I completely Uninstall 1Password 4 on MacBook?

Options
ShaneKeller
ShaneKeller
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

I am trying to completely uninstall 1Password 4 and start over. For some reason just deleting the app does not delete the database on my Macbook Air. Every time I reinstall 1Password 4 on my Macbook it starts using the old database. In addition, syncing with it has pushed the old data to my personal iPhone. I have a second iPhone for work with the most up to date versions of my passwords but I do not want 1Password 4 (on my Mac) to copy over my work iPhone's 1Password 4 app.

Can you provide details on how to completely remove every single file and remnant of 1Password 4?

Thank you

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ShaneKeller.

For some reason just deleting the app does not delete the database on my Macbook Air.

That's completely intended; disastrous otherwise. :)
    Too many people would end up accidentally deleting their precious1P data simply by deleting the app(!)

As an alternative to fully uninstalling and starting over again would it work for you to disable any syncing under Preferences > Sync so the current database is only on your MacBook Air, then delete any unwanted items from that database? If not, I'll post steps you can use to full remove 1P4. If you do that is there any 1Password data that you'd still like to preserve? Thanks!

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Yes please provide me with the steps to fully remove 1P4. I do not need to preserve any data as i have it backed up on a separate device.

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ShaneKeller.

Please see the instructions that @roustem posted here:

Complete Uninstall 1Password4 on Mac

Let us know if you'd like any help restoring your backup data. Thanks!

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member
    Options

Great thank you! It worked!

The only issue is syncing the info from my iPhone onto that MacBook Air. My iPhone Syncs to my iMac. I use an MacBook Air for on the road work. Because my iPhone Syncs with my iMac how can I get it to sync with both Mac's?

p.s. I cannot use iCloud or Dropbox Sync because of work policies. So the iTunes folder sync is my only option - unless there is a Wi-Fi sync coming along.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's excellent, @ShaneKeller. Thanks for letting us know.

Without using Dropbox or iCloud Sync, iTunes File Sharing is currently the only choice to transfer 1P data between and of your Macs and iOS devices. However, @roustem wrote:

We submitted 1Password 4.3 for iOS for review. This version will have the Wi-Fi sync option available.

You mentioned having work and personal iPhones, and an iMac and "road work" MacBook Air. I'm still a bit uncertain about exactly which 1P data you want synced/shared where and what the current state of that data is. The easiest scenario would be if there's already up-to-date 1P data in at least one place to use as a master copy for getting everything else in sync. It can be tricker if you'd like to merge certain out-of-sync changes. Sounds like you already experience using iTunes File Sharing so you know its manual backup/restore process has to be done a certain way to keep everything in sync.

Thanks for additional information that'll help us get that syncing sorted out for you!

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks SJK!

It has been really difficult to get the iTunes File Sharing to work. Even clicking "Sync Now" does not update 1P4 on my iPhone. Do I have to Sync my iMac with my iPhone every time first? Is there a step by step guide because I find I can only get the 1P4 update onto my iPhone by fluke or it magically appears after an hour or so.

1. I want to push updates from my iMac out to my iPhone but if there are new Logins on my iPhone I want those to Sync with the iMac too. In my iMac iTunes, do I set it to "Add" or "Save to" to make this happen?

2. Then I want to sync updates between my iPhone and my MacBook Air. But because my iPhone is tethered to my iMac how can I get them to SYNC like they did with 1P3?

Thanks,
    Shane

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@ShaneKeller, I put a brief description of the mechanics of iTunes sync here (post #5 in that thread) which may help you a little. Be aware that when you use iTunes sync no changes are automatically pushed to your iOS devices: iTunes sync is a manual procedure you need to repeat any time you want to sync changes. I have no difficulty in synchronising changes to my iPhone and iPad from my Mac manually using iTunes. (I haven't tried the other way because I tend to make all changes on my Mac.)

Note also that 1P4 for iOS 4.3 is now out and that supports wifi sync.

Sorry this hasn't answered all of your questions. I'm sure others will chime in with relevant advice.

Stephen

• Hi @ShaneKeller,

Did Stephen_C's post helped here? He's correct, the iTunes File Sharing is more of a manual one-way transfer. You have to manually transfer the data file to iTunes each time you make changes.

We strongly recommend using the Wi-Fi sync, which is now available in the 4.3 update of 1Password 4 for iOS. We've submitted 4.3.1 already with more improvements toward the Wi-Fi sync. It's going to get better over time as we continue to make more changes toward it.

If you have questions, please let us know.

• justinalvey
    justinalvey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there - I'd really like to completely uninstall 1Password 4 - it's been causing countless problems with Dropbox and I'd like to avoid doing a clean reformat of my harddrive. Can anyone provide guidance on this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justinalvey,

I'm really sorry to hear Dropbox syncing is giving you so much trouble with 1Password 4. Which version of 1Password 4 are you currently running? Before removing it is there anything we can do to help you get syncing working smoothly?

If you still want to remove it please refer to post #4 above. We sure hope you will first give it another chance and are here to assist with that. :)

This discussion has been closed.