1Password 4 will not backup

Options
DoNotStaple
DoNotStaple
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

In preferences there is a spot to backup data. When I click backup I get this error

Backup Failed
1Password failed to create a backup:ErrorDomain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=1206 "Unable to backup data"

In Preferences when I click "show folder" it goes to the folder, but the folder is empty.

Any ideas what is causing this?

AgileBits Proven Solution

EDIT: If you are seeing this error please select Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini from the menu bar. That should get things going again. — admin

Comments

• DoNotStaple
    DoNotStaple
    Community Member
    Options

Eureka! My backups just magically started to work. Disregard my post aboce

• Hi @DoNotStaple,

That's great news, thanks for the update! We tested this and it worked for us. It sounds like the folder didn't have the right permissions and the app fixes it on its own after a while.

• mschoen
    mschoen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing this issue as well -- seeing periodic "1Password failed to create a backup." notifications.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mschoen. If you open 1Password Menu > Preferences > Backups do you see any backups listed? Can you run 1Password Menu > Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini and see if that helps? Thanks!

• JustinCC83
    JustinCC83
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I was having the same problem. I did not have any backups showing in Preferences > Backups. Once I ran Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini it fixed the issue immediately. Thanks!

• invalidptr
    invalidptr
    Community Member
    Options

+1. Backup directory empty. Noticed the iOS notification of this error. FWIW, I believe I installed around 9:04am (lots of icon attachment errors and failed to remove image cache directory errors). I guess I'll give it time and see if it sorts itself out. Went into the UI and tried a backup again with the same error.

10/3/13 10:48:53.464 AM 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper[4034]: 400200 [XPC:0x7fa97d996d70:<OPXPCServer: 0x7fa979032a40>] E performBackupAndShowToUser: | Failed to create backup: Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=1206 "Unable to backup database because a backup or restore is already in progress." UserInfo=0x7fa9790a1ea0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to backup database because a backup or restore is already in progress.}

• pilot01
    pilot01
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the heads up. Was also experiencing no backup, buy your tip corrected the issue. thanks again.

• invalidptr
    invalidptr
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini it fixed the issue immediately. Backups happen instantly.

• mschoen
    mschoen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks -- this tip resolved the issue for me as well.

• That's great, thanks for letting us know!

• Georg
    Georg
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same issue, "Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini" fixed it as well.
    Did I mention that 1Password 4 is awsome? :-)

• mojomac
    mojomac
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same problem. Didn't have time to troubleshoot but noticed a day later that the problem was gone... Possibly restarting my MacBook Pro did it. That would have restarted the 1Password mini, I suppose.

[Side note: RIDICULOUS that 1Password 4 is a free upgrade from 3. I know it's probably because of the App Store issue of upgrades, but the developers deserve revenue for the hard work. I like getting things for free, but I also like to pay for good work...]

• grumpy115
    grumpy115
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I just upgraded to the Mac App Store version of 1Password4 & was having the same issue when invoking a manual backup. Rebooted the mac and all is well :)

FWIW - I found posts regarding the beta version that the error was due to the old version of 1Password being in some weird state.

Also - I LOVE the new UI especially the custom fields for security questions!! I have been using the notes field for this, but really appreciate the new feature. Great job AgileBits !! :)

• HI guys,

@Georg, you did now, thanks! If you don't mind my asking, please leave us a review at the Mac App Store.

@mojomac, yep, rebooting would restart the mini as well. I'm glad you like 1Password 4. What you could do to help us is leaving us a review at the Mac App Store and tell folks about 1Password 4.

@grumpy115, it could be that. It's difficult to test the upgrade at the MAS without releasing it first there. We did make sure everything looks good during the few months in beta testing with 20K testers but yea, sometime restart/reboot will help with that.

• spalmer
    spalmer
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, Just an FYI that I had this problem as well and after a few days it did not fix itself. I tried the tip to "Restart 1Password mini" and it came up and told me the 1Password 3 extension still needed to be removed even though I removed it, installed the new one and have successfully been using it for two days. This clued me in as to why it probably started working out of the blue for some people. You need to make sure to quit out of Safari (which I only do about once a month or so) and reopen it. Once I did this the backups started working fine. I am guessing the the resources and files for the old extension aren't totally released by Safari until you quit.

You might want to rewrite the instructions at http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/v3-extensions.html to show the very last step to restart your browser in big bold type. Also the way it is organized it looks like you are only telling Firefox users to restart their browser.

• BStephenMitchell
    BStephenMitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting mini worked for me too.

• OnMission865
    OnMission865
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting mini worked great! Awesome!

• Victor Agreda Jr
    Victor Agreda Jr
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting mini worked here but... should I be concerned that there's now just one backup?

• thebig22
    thebig22
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting mini works.

• Thank you for the update, everyone!

It seems that there is something stopping the backups of the very first launch of the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Unfortunately, we couldn't recreate this problem at the moment. If seems that we might need to find a Mac that never run 1Password 4 before in order to see this happen.

• AndreGB
    AndreGB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys, I would just like to add a +1 to this problem, so it seems it can be easily reproduced with a Mac that has never run 1password before (my case). Restarting mini also fixed it for me.

This app is indeed great. Thank you so much!

• mpaska
    mpaska
    Community Member
    Options

+47 this problem for us too (we're the managed services provider for a graphic design company with 47 Macs).

Is there a fix to this in the pipeline? Or any way we can resolve this via CLI so that we can remotely fix this for our client?

• DanielleCaro
    DanielleCaro
    Community Member
    Options

@spalmer Safari was my problem as well. I am a Chrome user and I guess something opened Safari. I think it was your comment or I took a similar path trying to resolve the issue. Thanks for mentioning Safari. I uninstalled the old extension and added the new one, restarted 1Password and things are fine now. Thanks for the heads up. Seems like having multiple browsers installed was my problem. I'm just happy for all the tips and that my problem was easily resolved. This happened to start when I switched from iPhone to Android and changed the sync to dropbox. I guess it wasn't that. I love 1Password and hope to see a more complete version on Android in the future. Being able to read my passwords has been a lifesaver for me though.

• drawohara
    drawohara
    Community Member
    Options

me too. knarly bug. would be okay if it'd didn't bleat loud noises on failure but, as it does, making my uninstall ;-(

• k1geek
    k1geek
    Community Member
    Options

I bought 1password from the agilebits site (not from the Mac AppStore) and had the issue described above. I learned a lot about how 1password is setup by looking at logs (pretty detailed) and pref files and doing general troubleshooting. One of the things I looked at is the permissions on the backups folder (~/Library/Application\ Support/1Password\ 4/Backups/). I don't think this is a permissions issue as the permissions are bog standard (rwx r-x r-x). Fortunately a quick google search led me here and to a resolution. I hope this helps get to the bottom of the issue. I can provide log dumps if that will help.

• thinkbuild
    thinkbuild
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this...

Hi - same problem here, using a database upgraded from 1Password v3x NOT from the app store. For me the fix was Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini - it fixed the issue immediately, as for many above...

Otherwise keep up the great work!

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

Since october 3rd I went from 1Password 3.9 MAS to 1Password 4.0.1 MAS to 1Password 4.0.2 webstore. I never got auto backups with 1Password 4. Yet regular (manual) backups could be executed fine.

This is what I did:

• Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini (many times)
    • rebooted (many times)
    • made changes to 1Password data etc. (many times)
    • repaired permissions (which was okay)
    • I reinstalled Safari extension (4.0.1)

2 minutes ago I finally saw for the first time a pop up that the auto backup was created.

Now I like to know at what moment the auto-backup is triggered to be executed.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

As of today, no more auto-backups. Made changes in database, and restarted 1Password mini. 1Password is open for almost 5 hours.

• lizardbreath
    lizardbreath
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1P4mac. it won't backup either. No mini here.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

No backups here either, 1P 4.0.2 ("upgraded" from version 3) from the website on OS X 10.8.5. Manual backups work fine.
    And also, could you increase the maximum number of backups (it says 30) to more?

This discussion has been closed.