Beta mix-up causing "Beta Build Expired" alert? [FIXED in 4.0.5]

2»

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Hello everyone,

If you are currently having trouble opening 1Password 4 and seeing the "Beta Build Expired" message please follow these steps to manually install a new version. If you are a Mac App Store customer this is unnecessary.

• Open the Download AgileBits Software page in your web browser.
    • Under 1Password 4 for Mac, click either the Download Now button to download version 4.0.5 or the Download beta link to download 4.0.7.BETA-1.
    • This downloaded file comes wrapped in a ZIP file. What happens with this ZIP file depends on how your browser is configured:

• Some browsers will automatically open safe files. In this case, the file will be automatically unzipped for you and you will see “1Password 4” in your Downloads folder.
      • If the file wasn’t automatically unzipped for you, you will instead see a ZIP file in your Downloads folder. Double-click this file to unzip it.
    • Drag 1Password 4 from your Downloads folder into your main Applications folder, replacing the older version you'd previously been using. Please do not use any "app delete/cleaner" utility to remove 1Password.

The newly installed version will open normally and all of your 1Password data will be preserved.

If this doesn't resolve the problem please start a new topic describing the issue you're having and we'll help you there.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and for not addressing it here sooner.

Update From AgileBits Admin: This post has been confirmed to solve this issue.

• Siân Fever
    Siân Fever
    Community Member

This has worked for me. Thanks.

• mwbia
    mwbia
    Community Member

Same issue for me. The fix worked, but HUGE LOSS OF TRUST in a software that handle sensitive information and the team behind it.

• Thank you for confirming @sjk's steps resolved the issue.

I apologize for the scare. We accidentally flagged version 4.0.2 as a beta build which is perfectly fine 99% of the time except they expire. We only allow betas to be run for 25 days before requiring an upgrade so when version 4.0.2 started he thought it was time to jump to the next beta.

This issue will not happen in the current 4.0.5 release. We've had this version out for a while now and had hoped everyone would have upgraded by now but in 4.0.2 the automatic update check would only run when the main 1Password application was opened. Many people use 1Password mini most of the time and only start the main app for editing. Starting in 4.0.5 the check for new versions happens inside 1Password mini (which should always be running) and so we hope people will be able to upgrade faster and receive fixes like this one faster.

Again I'm sorry for the trouble.

• Alpha_Dog
    Alpha_Dog
    Community Member

worked for me thx

This discussion has been closed.