My password is not getting recognized after format, and dropbox resync

There is an awkward problem i am facing, and it is leading to a great disaster for my business. I was showing complete trust to the software i purchased from you, so i was storing all my life data on it. Due to a pc failure i needed to format my pc. I reinstalled dropbox & 1password, and i am trying to access my data but my password does not unlock the data for some reason. I have been locked out from my website for a week now, and it is Christmas, so please help me resolve it. It is very urgent. It seems that i have 2 "settings" files in my drobpox folder. One inside the 1password folder and 1 outside. Do you think this might be the problem?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT. I AM LOSING MY MIND.....

I logged in 1 minute prior to formatting my pc, and everything was working fine. Now it is not recognizing my password....

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

I'm guessing the .agilekeychain you're currently opening (in your Dropbox) is not the same as the .agilekeychain you used to open (before the format).

Hopefully, you have another .agilekeychain in your Dropbox. Please search your Dropbox for

*.agilekeychain

If you do not have another .agilekeychain in your Dropbox, then your best bet is to restore a backup.

• vcrystals
    vcrystals
    Community Member

I never replaced files on my dropbox, and this is the only .agilekeychain there. I never messed it up. I also never logged in to dropbox in order to mess with the files. What else can be done? I thought that this was considered a backup, and this is the only thing i have. Please suggest another step.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

1Password is automatically configured to back up your data to your local hard drive, periodically, as configured on the Backup tab of 1Password preferences.

Please choose Backup > Restore 1Password Data From Backup to see the list of backup archives available. The information includes the number of items backed up, which may help you to decide which one to restore.

Please let us know how it goes, @vcrystals!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

What else can be done?

I suggest you restore a backup.

1Password automatically creates backups in this directory:

C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\1Password\Backups

• vcrystals
    vcrystals
    Community Member

I just tried this solution from a backup made 4 days ago, but again....my password does not open the data. I never changed the password myself guys. What is happening? I just removed and reinstalled 1pass, tried to restore from backup and still the same.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Your master password is an integral part of your 1Password data—they are inextricably linked, and it is stored only within your 1Password data.

We have no way of resetting or restoring it, because such a method would be a “back door” through which someone could get unauthorized access to your 1Password data. At the risk of suggesting the obvious, is it possible that you wrote your master password down and tucked it away somewhere safe? (No offense intended!)

You might also try the tips in the "What if I've forgotten my master password?" article in the "FAQ" section of the user's guide, accessible from the Help menu and in the Support area of our web site.
    http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/forgot-mp.html

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I just tried this solution from a backup made 4 days ago, but again....my password does not open the data. I never changed the password myself guys. What is happening? I just removed and reinstalled 1pass, tried to restore from backup and still the same.

Is your keyboard layout the same as before you formatted your PC?

• vcrystals
    vcrystals
    Community Member

svondutch, what you just said saved my life. I had keyscrambler (anti-keylogging) sofware installed. For some reason, as soon as i installed this program again, it recognized my password. Well this is strange because all the years i was formating my pc i never had to do this in the past, but what can you say.....You saved my day

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

I had keyscrambler (anti-keylogging) sofware installed. For some reason, as soon as i installed this program again, it recognized my password.

I'm glad you're back in business, but not being able to unlock your 1Password data (without the need to install additional software) is bad. I suggest you change your master password.

http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords/

Please make sure you always have a backup plan.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

To recap, @vcrystals:

1. Install the scrambling software.

2. Launch 1Password, enter your master password (which will get scrambled, of course), and
      leave 1Password running and unlocked.

3. Immediately disable the scrambling software.

4. In 1Password, change your master password to something strong and memorable (which will not get scrambled, so you'll know what it actually is).

I hope that helps! Let us know how it goes.

• vcrystals
    vcrystals
    Community Member

After extensive investigation of the reasons leading to the above event led to a conclusion which i am going to present for any other user that might be using the same setup. As known Yubikey is a perfect security solution for passwords. If used in conjuction with a software like KeyScrambler then security is enhanced considerably. But there is a flaw that users should know about. It is not 1password that was affected by KeyScrambler, it was the Yubikey. When ON (keyscrabler) the yubikey was exporting different "special" characters. A thing to have in mind ;)

Thanks for the support everyone. Case solved.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up, @vcrystals. I'm glad everything's straightened out.

The important thing to remember: Make sure your master password actually is what you think it is!

This discussion has been closed.