TorBrowserBundle 3.5 now works with current 1P extension

froderick
froderick
Community Member
edited December 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The Tor project just released version 3.5 of the TorBrowserBundle (TBB). Previous versions were based on Firefox 17 ESR and needed a legacy extension. The current TBB is based on Firefox 24 ESR and that seems to work with the current version of the 1P for Windows Firefox extension (I have v. 3.9.20). So that's good news!

Note that like TBB 3.0, it still requires making the hardlinks to glue the extension between TBB and standard Firefox as described in another post.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your post, @froderick.

Note that we don't test or officially support use of the extensions with any browsers other than those specifically listed on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences.

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

Yesterday I made a new post in this thread (which for some reason I can't see here) to note that TBB 2.5.2 appears to break the 1P v3 extension again. There is a workaround though: in the TorButton preferences (accessible from the onion button in the toolbar), select "custom proxy settings" and add "127.0.0.1" to the No Proxies On field.

Note however that this may make you more visible compared to other Tor users. The Tor devs consider non-Torified communication to localhost a source of potential information leakage, and 3.5.2 includes a fix for this (which is what apparently broke the 1P extension). See TBB Trac ticket 10419 for more details.

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member

Well, that didn't take long... TBB 3.5.2 appears to break the 1P v3 extension again (extension complains that the helper is not connected). :-P

I'm not 100% sure why; I've tried making hardlinks to the 1P extension files in TBB from the default Firefox locations, and also tried making links in the other direction, without success. I suspect it's because with this new version the Tor devs are cracking down on communication between the browser and 127.0.0.1 (see TBB ticket 10419 and the 1P v3 extension troubleshooting page). If so, that might be the end for hacking the 1P v3 extension into TBB.

I'm not in the 1P Windows v4 beta... does it still use the same method for communicating with the browser extension as in v3 (WebSocket connections to 127.0.0.1)?

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member

Well, that didn't take long... TBB 3.5.2 appears to break the 1P v3 extension again (extension complains that the helper is not connected). :-P

I'm not 100% sure why; I've tried making hardlinks to the 1P extension files in TBB from the default Firefox locations, and also tried making links in the other direction, without success. I suspect it's because with this new version the Tor devs are cracking down on communication between the browser and 127.0.0.1 (see TBB ticket 10419 and the 1P v3 extension troubleshooting page). If so, that might be the end for hacking the 1P v3 extension into TBB.

I'm not in the 1P Windows v4 beta... does it still use the same method for communicating with the browser extension as in v3 (WebSocket connections to 127.0.0.1)?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Yes, except for Internet Explorer.

This discussion has been closed.