To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New Feature Request

glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

Now that the Medicare card numbers, for security reasons, are no longer identical to the Social Security numbers, it would be helpful if 1Password included a Medicare Card option.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@glindsey - Thanks for the suggestion! I don't know that we'll add a Medicare card option, as Medicare is a US-only thing, and although our largest user-base is still the United States, that's less true than it used to be, and it's more of a challenge to add the social benefits cards of many nations. It's something to consider, though -- and in the meantime, you can add that (or anything else you like) as a Secure Note, titled appropriately. Hope that helps! :)

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• forgave_possess
    forgave_possess
    Community Member

Being a US only thing hasn't stopped you supporting US English terms before.

For example, you refer to a Current Account as a Checking Account. A meaningless term outside of North America.

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Well, TBH, a "Current Account" is a "meaningless term" within the US, and the US is 1Password's largest base! So, I can understand why the 1Password team would favor the use of "checking" and "savings" accounts as that is what we call them here in the States.

Perhaps, for the future, there might be a way to have optional, downloadable add-ons, such as the Medicare card? Or, perhaps even localized versions of the software?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@forgave_possess - you're quite right, we did focus on USA-centered options in the early days of 1Password. In 2006 and for the first few years, the USA was very much a lopsided portion of our user-base. Even though 1Password was born and raised in Canada, the original code reflected that fact -- and many of those same categories continue to this day. Social Security Number, for example -- in Canada, it would've been Social Insurance Numbers, not Social Security. In recent years, our user base outside the USA has expanded significantly, in enough countries/regions that we're looking into how we might best reflect that within 1Password. We want 1Password to be as useful as possible to people in various regions/countries, but we don't want to burden users in any country with multiple categories of items they'll never use because those categories simply aren't relevant or don't even exist in their region. It's something we're looking at for the long term, since just adding a bunch more categories wouldn't make anyone happy.

Did you have a particular question or suggestion on the topic? From your post, it sounds like you're suggesting that because we once did something, we ought to keep doing it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@glindsey

Well, TBH, a "Current Account" is a "meaningless term" within the US, and the US is 1Password's largest base!

Exactly. 1Password isn't the product it was ten years ago -- our base is still largest in the USA, but that's been becoming less true than it was a decade ago, and so 1Password needs to reflect those changes.

I can see why you'd suggest downloadable add-ons as a solution, and if I didn't know as much about how difficult it is to keep the database straight across platforms, versions, languages, etc, I might agree. As it is, I'm not sure what direction we're going to take with it but I do know that these decisions are now considerably more complicated/delicate than they were a decade ago. "Localized versions," for example, would require a much more robust infrastructure than we've traditionally had in place -- which isn't to say we can't or won't, only that as we grow, we need to do so in a way that gets it right without breaking people's existing 1Password setup. If you have a Photoshop filter that doesn't work because of some incompatibility, you won't be able to apply a certain filter to your images (or whatever) until it gets solved. But the kind of data people store in our application is almost always the very definition of mission-critical. We don't take that lightly, and so we need to make sure we've considered everything before we move forward. I don't want to give the impression that we think what we do is a minefield or that we're terrified of change - both 1password.com accounts and all the new features in version 7 of both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows should serve as evidence to the contrary. But if we seem sometimes to not be completely embodying the ubiquitous tech company motto "move fast and break things," it's because we understand (and take very seriously) the knowledge that what we'd be "breaking" if we get stuff wrong is YOUR things. And that's something we want to avoid.

Wow, that got perhaps a little more serious than I intended -- the bottom line is: you're quite right; adding a greater degree of specificity to the categories of item that users can select for themselves to suit their own situation is something we very much want to pursue. One of the ways we're currently doing that is - in 1Password Business - the use of custom Categories, where users can design their own templates, that make sense (and are arranged) in the ways that best suit their use-case. It's a beta feature only available in 1Password Business for now...but it should give you a glimpse of at least one avenue where we might be headed along these lines. If you have or are a member of a 1Password Business account, go (or have an owner/admin go) to Settings > Beta and turn them on, to start experimenting now. :)

• forgave_possess
    forgave_possess
    Community Member

I don't have time to reply to this comprehensively, but I appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed reply.

• :+1:

Ben

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Wow! I love the idea of custom categories, Ben! Clever! But my worry is that I would not know how to design the icons correctly for each additional custom category! Would it be possible to add downloadable templates for the icons or a list of icons from which to choose?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But my worry is that I would not know how to design the icons correctly for each additional custom category!

I hadn't thought of that. :lol:

Would it be possible to add downloadable templates for the icons or a list of icons from which to choose?

That's anyone's guess at this point, but perhaps that could be possible someday -- someday after custom categories are available in the first place though. ;)

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member

This discussion was at least a year ago. Has there been any progress?

Is there an app like Adobe XD or ? that creates a format usable by 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmassengale:

We don't have any updates to share about this yet.

Is there an app like Adobe XD or ? that creates a format usable by 1Password?

Can you please elaborate a bit on what you mean by this?

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

The first message in this thread said, "Now that the Medicare card numbers, for security reasons, are no longer identical to the Social Security numbers, it would be helpful if 1Password included a Medicare Card option."

Reading the later messages, it seems that 1Password will not add "a Medicare Card option." So my question is, "Is there an app that we can use to make a file to add cards like Medicare and Social Security to 1Password?"

• There is not, however you can certainly store this information in 1Password as-is, perhaps as a Secure Note:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

Also note that we already have a Social Security Numbers category. :)

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Thank you, Ben, that's an excellent article. Have you looked at my question about lost Master Passwords from a few minutes ago?

This screen shot shows a copy of 1Password that I can access, because the computer is disconnected from the internet.

• Thank you, Ben, that's an excellent article.

You're very welcome. Glad to hear it.

Have you looked at my question about lost Master Passwords from a few minutes ago?

I have not, yet. Let's keep the conversation about that issue to that thread though, please, to try to avoid duplicating efforts. Thanks! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.