Will you become a full-featured service also for other platforms than just for Apple?

caplicapli
edited January 8 in Android

Any comments on if and possibly when you will be more open and multiple ecosystems friendly? For example your current app on Android can't do even a basic function such as copy the password from the menu. Instead you have to open each and every entry. Design of your apps on Android and Windows is saying that you are strictly Apple focused. I really like your app and also the fact, that you are a fellow Torontonian, but that will not make me switch platforms in order to use a full-featured service.

1Password Version: 7.0.9
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@capli: All of our apps are full featured, but you're right that there are some inconsistencies between them. Some of that is due to platform differences, the age of the codebase on that platform, and a number of other factors, but you're right that there is plenty of room for improvement. I just disagree with the characterization that we're "Apple-focused" and that other platforms are being neglected. Certainly we have a longer history with Apple platforms since 1Password was originally Mac-only, and so we have a lot of stuff there we've build over years and years, much of which also benefits the iOS app since it can use some of the same code. But 1Password for Android was able to do Autofill before 1Password for iOS could, and 1Password for Windows still can do things that 1Password for Mac cannot. There's give and take both ways. We're almost certainly never going to have the exact same stuff across all platforms for so many reasons -- even when one seems to "catch up", we'll introduce something new on another, as we don't want to be dumping homogeneous, non-native code everywhere -- but we'll keep working to improve consistency across the board. You shouldn't have to switch platforms. So if there are specific features or improvements you'd like to see, let us know. We're listening. :)

• It is really good to hear that you are focusing on every major platform. I now spent weeks studying the password managers on the market. 1Password is the winner for me. But the one thing that still bothers me is the UI. If we talk design only, you are very Apple-focused. You must agree with me on this.? Also many people are using tablets, two in one, Surface devices (including me). Touch input is no doubt on the rise. Is there a plan to make Windows desktop, Android app and the web version so that it fits the design language of it's correspondent platform (or at least have a neutral design language) and is touch friendly?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@capli: Thanks for getting back to me! :)

It is really good to hear that you are focusing on every major platform. I now spent weeks studying the password managers on the market. 1Password is the winner for me.

Thank you for taking the time to try different things! That may sound silly, perhaps like I'm only saying that because you've decided you like 1Password in the end, but I think it's really important to evaluate different options rather than just going with whatever you end up with. We'd much rather you use 1Password because you've decided it's the best fit for you. Then you can be happier I think: perhaps less of that "what if" or "grass is greener on the other side". But it also helps us improve 1Password, to hear if there are things you've seen elsewhere that are done a bit differently, that we should consider as well. Being an informed customer with a fresh perspective is better for everyone, but I know that takes time and dedication, so I want to say thanks for doing that -- and including 1Password in the first place. :chuffed:

But the one thing that still bothers me is the UI. If we talk design only, you are very Apple-focused. You must agree with me on this.?

In broad generalities, I don't agree. Certainly we were Apple-only at first, but that was a long time ago. Our Windows and Android apps are younger and therefore have had less time to grow, but we're very much a cross-platform company these days -- especially with 1Password memberships, which include all of the apps, and businesses which can often use less Apple stuff than our original userbase from the days when we only made a Mac app did.

But I'd be curious if there's something specific you had in mind. You mention the UI, but we don't reuse code for that. We have a "1Password experience" we try to use for consistency across platforms so that users feel at home using 1Password anywhere, but that isn't an Apple thing. And you'll note that we're making heavy use of Google's Material Design on Android (you would immediately notice it if 1Password looked and worked exactly the same between Android and iOS; they each have a certain "feel" that we try to adhere to), and while the new Windows app is not technically UWP, we do take a lot of design cues from that -- which results in a very different feeling app than what we have on macOS, even if the same features are present and can be used similarly.

Also many people are using tablets, two in one, Surface devices (including me). Touch input is no doubt on the rise. Is there a plan to make Windows desktop, Android app and the web version so that it fits the design language of it's correspondent platform (or at least have a neutral design language) and is touch friendly?

I'm right there with you. I am not super into touch on Windows, but I am typing this on my Surface right now and I definitely use it from time to time -- especially when traveling, so I don't have to break out the keyboard. ;)

So I'm not quite sure what you have in mind, but if you'll elaborate on the things you're thinking of maybe I can offer some more insight. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file