1Password on new machine doesn't see my .opvault file on Dropbox, even though I'm double-clicking it

audcrane
audcrane
Community Member

I got a new Mac (running Mojave) and I've installed 1Password7. However I'm having a lot of trouble linking to my account.

It says, "Used 1Password before?" Why yes (I think), I have. This should be easy, right?

If I select 1Password.com and enter my master password, I just get the "no" shake. I KNOW this is my master password, I'm literally using it on my other machine right now, but it doesn't work. I thought maybe it was the Secret Key so I try that, doesn't work either.

Ok, if instead I select DropBox and select the .opvault file on Dropbox, the file selector window closes, but nothing changes on the window below it -- basically it's still asking me to choose a file.

OK, if instead I select More Options... > Search My Mac it says, "no vaults were found in standard locations". If I Pick Different Location > Choose a File on My Mac then again, the file selector window closes, but nothing changes on the window below it. It does not appear I've selected anything.

Grr.

If I close 1Password altogether, navigate to my .opvault file in Finder, and double-click, 1Password launches, but I am right back where I started, at the "Used 1Password before?" page.

I've tried restarting both 1Password and my Mac.

Help?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new machine doesn't see the opvault file

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@audcrane: It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

In your case, it sounds like you need to select the "Dropbox" option to setup 1Password with your existing data, if that's where it is. If you're still having trouble, could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance! :)

• audcrane
    audcrane
    Community Member

Yeah... If I select DropBox and select the .opvault file on Dropbox, the file selector window closes, but nothing changes on the window below it -- basically it's still asking me to choose a file.

Step 1: Click Sync Using DropBox
    Step 2: Click Choose File...
    Step 3: Finder window opens. Navigate to and click on .opvault file. Click on Open.
    Step 4: Finder window closes. I'm literally back at Step 2, no apparent change at all, no error message, nothing...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@audcrane - I think I see what might be the issue here (thanks for the screenshots!) -- you appear to have two different Dropbox folders/accounts on this Mac. You'll need to make sure you're using the correct one. Not just the correct Dropbox account/folder, but also make sure that the 1Password sync keychain file(s) in the folder is the one you expect it is.

• audcrane
    audcrane
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

OK, I do have a work and personal dropbox account/folder... but in that case would I have more than one .opvault file? There is just the one.

I'm not sure how to make sure it's the one 1Password is expecting, but in any event there isn't another choice.

Thanks for your help on this. Without a fix, my new computer is essentially unusable...

• Audrey
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@audcrane - it's not the folders, it's the accounts. If you have more than one Dropbox account, that may be the issue. Make sure you're signed in using the correct Dropbox account on your Mac. The screenshot you sent indicates that .opvault has a file size of zero bytes. That indicates to me that it hasn't yet been synced from Dropbox, which might mean you haven't signed in with that particular Dropbox account yet, so it's not synced.

Do you still have access to your old Mac, and does that still have your 1Password data on it? If so, check the Dropbox app to see which Dropbox account is being used there. I'd recommend verifying or checking the steps on this troubleshooting list to make sure everything's correct on your new Mac. Let me know how that goes for you.

• audcrane
    audcrane
    Community Member

I've tried the list, still not working.

In my working 1Password account, i tried preferences > accounts > Set up other devices > send link. However, oddly, my Master Password doesn't work. This is the same master password that I used to get into my working 1Password account, right? I read the help documentation, I typed somewhere else so I could see it, copied, pasted, incorrect password. Copying and pasting the same account into my working computer works.

However it does not work at https://my.1password.com/signin?l=en. I get, "Cannot sign in. Your email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect. If you were invited to 1Password by someone else, they can recover your account." I tried both possible email addresses and copy-pasted my secret key from my working 1Password account.

Is there more than one Master Password???

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've tried the list, still not working.

@audcrane: Can you be more specific?

In my working 1Password account, i tried preferences > accounts > Set up other devices > send link. However, oddly, my Master Password doesn't work. This is the same master password that I used to get into my working 1Password account, right?

No. In order to access a local vault (like the one you're trying to sync with Dropbox) you'll need to use the Master Password set for that particular vault.

I read the help documentation, I typed somewhere else so I could see it, copied, pasted, incorrect password. Copying and pasting the same account into my working computer works. However it does not work at https://my.1password.com/signin?l=en. I get, "Cannot sign in. Your email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect. If you were invited to 1Password by someone else, they can recover your account." I tried both possible email addresses and copy-pasted my secret key from my working 1Password account.

Just to clarify, Dropbox is not at all involved with a 1Password membership subscription account. They're completely separate. It sounds like the difficulty you're having is that you're trying to use a password for one to access another, and/or that you're confusing the two completely.

Is there more than one Master Password???

If you setup different Master Passwords for different things, then yes. We do recommend using only one, but we can't stop you from using different ones in multiple places.

Let's go back to basics. Where do you have your 1Password data currently? Is it in a Dropbox-sync'd local vault on your old Mac? Is it in a 1Password membership subscription account? The latter you can check quickly by signing into the website in your browser:

https://start.1password.com

Let me know and we'll go from there. :)

• audcrane
    audcrane
    Community Member

I do understand that the Dropbox and 1Password passwords are different. :-)

1Password data is in a Dropbox vault sync'd to both macs. I (successfully) switched computers a few years ago and the vault remains in the same place it was then (also successfully using on my phone).

I cannot log in at https://start.1password.com, using my secret key, email address, and the password I used 5 seconds ago to get my secret key out of 1Password. I get the error message I described above.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@audcrane - if that's the case, then it sounds very much to me as if you may have done what brenty was suggesting, above: when you created your 1password.com account, you gave it a new, different Master Password than what you had been previously using for your standalone 1Password data in Dropbox. Either that, or you have never set up a 1password.com account at all. Do you have a printed-out (or saved-via-pdf) Emergency Kit somewhere, on which you wrote your Master Password at the time you created the account?

This discussion has been closed.