How to download and verify 1PW mini for Mac Safari?

Options
Norman K. Hester
Norman K. Hester
Community Member

I “think” I have 7.2.4 installed (with a new paid license!)! At least, a new 1PW icon appears on upper-most Safari tool bar of iMac (OS 10.14.2). Safari extension is installed (presumably!).

I suspect that 1PW mini must be installed (with a “new” icon appearing to the left of the open URL)?

Please!!! Where can I find lucid instructions for obtaining “mini”… and then, verifying that it is, indeed, installed?

(My previous 1PW 6.8.9 was so easy… but 7 seems to defy my every attempt with many wasted hours!)

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: 1Password mini is just the smaller window that opens when you use 1Password in your browser, or press Command Option \

Can you tell me what you're trying to do exactly, and where you're running into trouble?

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

The 1PW icon does appear in upper-most banner of Safari.

What I expect is that by clicking on the icon, 1PW will acknowledge the currently open webpage and with one more click the log-in accomplished. This is not happening… is this because “mini” is not installed???

I’ve not figured out where my problem lies!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: What does happen when you click the 1Password icon?

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a snapshot:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: That's 1Password mini. You can search there, or go through the menu to select a category/item. In the screenshot, you're viewing the contents of the "Logins" category.

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

But... it no longer identifies what web page I have open... nor does it facilitate in any manner entering password to the open web page. In 1PW 6 that process was quite automatic! I feel that something crucial is missing...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: Ah, thanks for clarifying. Since you has selected "Logins", it's not going to show you matches; rather, it will display everything in the "Logins" category because you told it to. If you press Command \ on a login page where you have a Login saved in 1Password already, what happens? Can you give me an example?

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

I have Facebook open and awaiting a password. I click on the 1PW icon... and this is what happens:

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

Also: command/ does the same!

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

Uh... that should have been command... but, it behaves similarly!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: Do you have the 1Password extension enabled in Safari Preferences > Extensions? Take a screenshot of what you see there. Thanks in advance!

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options
  • Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

As you may have noted, I've twice downloaded Safari extension. I suppose that's not a problem?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: Oh. That's exactly the problem. Uninstall the bottom one, and enable the one at the top. 1Password 7 has the Safari App Extension built in, and this is required for Safari 12.

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Command\ now works! But is there not another way of just clicking on an icon as in 1PW 6?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester There is always the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar. If you don't see the 1Password icon in Safari, try restarting it (Safari). If you still don't see it after restart, control-click the toolbar, find the 1Password icon there, and drag it into the position you'd like it in the toolbar.

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

brenty:

I've seen your comment about closing a prior question that I posted when I was continuing to use 1PW 6. My adding to that conversation was an error... as 1PW 7 is now installed!

You've been a great help in getting 7 to work for me (by cancelling an extra Safari extension!). A 2nd 1PW icon now appears to the left of the URL (as in 1PW 6), but left clicking on that icon does not enter password info to the open site.

However (as I indicated in the closed thread) I am now able to enter password info via Command\ !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester - thanks. When you click Safari's Preferences > Extensions, what do you see there now (in terms of 1Password)?

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a screen shot:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Norman K. Hester. The fact that ⌘ (command) + \ does the trick seems to indicate that 1Password is working properly, so the issue may be more of a learning curve than anything. You said:

A 2nd 1PW icon now appears to the left of the URL (as in 1PW 6), but left clicking on that icon does not enter password info to the open site.

If I take that literally.... you're right, but it isn't supposed to. What it is supposed to do is open 1Password mini. From there you should be able to select the login you want to fill, and have it fill. But just clicking on the icon in the toolbar will never cause anything to be filled. That's working as intended. If what you mean is that 1Password mini isn't opening when you click on that... that is a problem.

That said, ⌘ + \ is probably the more convenient way of doing things, so if that is working for you I'd suggest rolling with that.

Ben

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to be how it's working!

But am I mistaken... in 1PW 6 a left-click on that icon (the one residing to the left of Safari's open URL) did post the password info to the open web page?

• Ben
    Options

But am I mistaken... in 1PW 6 a left-click on that icon (the one residing to the left of Safari's open URL) did post the password info to the open web page?

It has been a while since I've used 1Password 6 but I don't recall it working that way. Clicking on the 1Password icon in 1Password 6, I believe, opened the browser extension.

This seems to be how it's working!

Glad to hear it. Sounds as though it is working as designed then. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: I think what's throwing you off is that 1Password mini -- the smaller window that comes up when you invoke 1Password in your browser, or from the menu bar -- looks a bit different in version 7. It works the same way as it did in version 6, with clicking the icon bringing up 1Password mini, as Ben mentioned. But I can definitely appreciate that a visual change might confuse things. Anyway, it sounds like you're on the right track, but if there's anything else we can help with just let us know. We're here for you. :)

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your continued interest in the problems I've experienced in adjusting to the changes in 1PW 7.2.4!

With your help, I think that all is now well... I am now able to enter passwords by Command\ or by clicking on the icon for 1PW mini (the icon that resides just to the left of URL for page in question).

Again... thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Norman K. Hester: You're very welcome! I'm glad to be able to help. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.