Unable to add account to 1Password on second Mac

Options
Deborah Loth
Deborah Loth
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Mac

I am attempting to upgrade to 1Password 7 on a second Mac. Having set up a Family Account, I migrated to 1Password 7 on my laptop. I now find that when asked to enter my master password in order to add the account to 1Password 7 on my desktop, nothing happens. It simply asks me to enter the master password, even though I already have. Over and over again. What to do?

To be clear: in the newly installed App on my desktop, my only option is to select ‘Purchase 1Password’ from the main menu, and then at the bottom of that screen to click on ‘Sign in’. The system can find my account, and when I click ‘Add’ it asks for my master password. Butt then does nothing when I enter the master password (which works on my laptop and on my three iOS devices). No password hint. No response at all.

1Password Version: 7 (Family)
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Deborah Loth - I'm not quite sure from your description what specific steps you may have taken, in what order, to get where you are now on the second Mac. But if you've already migrated your previous standalone data into your new 1Password Families account on the first Mac, then you don't need to worry about this: just click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data on the second Mac, and when you re-launch 1Password 7 the next time, it will be as if you are a new user. Just sign into your 1password.com account using the credentials you created on your first Mac (you'll need the Secret Key and the Master Password), and you should be all set! :)

• Deborah Loth
    Deborah Loth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. In the meantime, what eventually worked was getting the 1Password 7 to load a backup it could see on the second Mac, which required my original password. (1Password had forced me to change the master password when setting up the membership account on the first Mac.) Once up and running with a backup of the original data and the original password, it allowed me to add my membership account with its new password, whereupon (after some checking) I deleted the vaults 'On My Mac', which eventually required the original password. But 1Password avowed that it would henceforth use the new account password. And so far it seems to be true to its word.

I've been a 1Password user and advocate for a decade, but the lack of clarity about this upgrade process has been unnerving. It would, for example, have been really good to have a comprehensive step-by-step guide to upgrading which began with 'ensure that the master password you've been using for years conforms to these standards...' Please don't make me regret abandoning Dropbox sync.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Deborah Loth I'm sorry for the confusion. We haven't previously had requirements for Master Passwords, but that's resulted in people using some truly awful ones. And yes, it's each person's right to decide what level of security they want to pursue for their own data. But in 1password.com, we enforced a minimum of ten characters for the Master Password, which made some users change their existing Master Passwords. Our step-by-step guide does recommend you use the same Master Password as you've been using on your existing standalone setup. But, for some users, the existing Master Password wasn't long enough.

...the lack of clarity about this upgrade process has been unnerving.

Are there things you wanted to see, but didn't, that would've helped you with this process? Things that you wish we'd done differently? We're always interested in hearing people's experiences with our software, and especially the upgrade processes.

This discussion has been closed.