[Feature Request] - Password Generator in Mac App

Options
bradpinkston
bradpinkston
Community Member

Please place the Password Generator in the mac app in the same place it is available in the Chrome extension. I didn't even realize it was available in the Mac App until I searched the app well before this posting. The way it is shown in the Chrome extension is more intuitive.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradpinkston - thanks for the request; I'll pass it along to the development and design team.

• Afgan
    Afgan
    Community Member
    Options

I too would like the generator placed into the mac app as I cant always use the extension when I need to generate a passwords for non-web sources such as other apps that require a password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Afgan: Two things:

1. You can absolutely access the password generator when creating a Login item in the main 1Password window. And you should really save a Login anyway so you don't lose the password you end up using!
    2. If you use 1Password mini -- Command Option \ or click the menu bar icon -- it can actually match to some apps as well, like it does with websites to show you Logins associated with them.

Cheers! :)

• Afgan
    Afgan
    Community Member
    Options

I too would like the generator placed into the mac app as I can't always use the extension when I need to generate a passwords for non-web sources such as other apps

• Afgan
    Afgan
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I know that the generator is there when you create a new login or item in the main window of the Mac app but this can't be used without the creation of the item first, I want to be able to create the password first then use it in the application and this cant be done via the extension as it closes as soon as focus is moved to the app I am using. Thus it would be beneficial to have access via the main app.

• Afgan
    Afgan
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I know that the generator is there when you create a new login or item in the main window of the Mac app but this can't be used without the creation of the item first, I want to be able to create the password first then use it in the application and this cant be done via the extension as it closes as soon as focus is moved to the app I am using. Thus it would be beneficial to have access via the main app

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Afgan: I'm not sure I understand. Either of these will work:

1. Open the main 1Password window
    2. Click the + for a new item
    3. Select Login
    4. Click the icon to the right of the Password field to access the password generator
    5. Copy to clipboard and use it
    6. Save Login (or not -- but then you lose the password, and you're not going to remember it...)

or

1. Open 1Password mini
    2. Select Password Generator
    3. Copy to clipboard and use it
    4. (1Password automatically saves it as a Password item as a safety net
    5. You can convert the saved Password to a Login item if you wish

Can you tell me specifically where you're having trouble?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For that matter, you can even open the main 1Password window, click +, and choose Password as the item category.

This discussion has been closed.