OPVault/agilekeychain - partly clear text?

claus
claus
Community Member

Hello,
I am sorry if I use the wrong wordings.
I read in a german forum that it is possible to read/see some text or details in the OPVault/agilekeychain. Just open the "Bundle" and open some files in a text editor, voila!
I did not try it (as I just read the thread, and I have no idea where I could find the vault file).
Is it correct that it is possible to see e.g URLs or some other details which are saved in 1Pwd
Greetings,
Claus

Here the German comments:
[...] Ich bezog mich auf das agilekeychain-Format. Dieses sieht auf dem Mac zwar wie eine Datei aus, ist aber in Wirklichkeit ein Ordner mit vielen Dateien (Bundle) drin. Schaut man sich diese Dateien mal in einem Textbrowser an, dann sieht man, dass dort die von mir erwähnten Daten im Klartext gespeichert sind.
[...]
Nein, das OPVault-Format gibt es mindestens seit Version 6 und ja, genau diese Klartext-Elemente beim agilekeychain-Format wurden auch als Schwachstelle identifiziert, da ein Hacker einfach die URLs manipulieren und das Opfer noch auf seine manipulierte Seite leiten müsste, dort würde der Kunde dann völlig arglos seinen Zugang (Nutzername + Passwort) einfügen lassen und ihn damit selber dem Hacker im Klartext liefern.[...]
(https://www.mactechnews.de/forum/discussion/Einfacher-Passwortmanager-gesucht-336668.html)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@claus: Hi! The old AgileKeychain format stored titles and URLs in plain text so that it was possible to search for items without decrypting them, which was painful on older hardware. The newer OPVault format, which has been available since about 2012, does not have anything stored in plain text. You can verify any of this on a Mac by right-clicking the vault and selecting View Package Contents, or on Windows by simply double-clicking the vault to enter the folder. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

Thank you, Brenty,, Makes it clear!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.