Transfer local vault between systems with and without subscription

thomaaaasb
thomaaaasb
Community Member

Got a subscription for 1Password. I've got a new freelancing contract and due to compliance and contractual requirements I have to store anything which is related to this work locally (storing on 3rd party systems not allowed). Thus I created a new local vault. Now I'm wondering about two things:

What is the proper way to backup a local vault and how can the backup be imported again on another system?

How can I transfer this local vault to a stand-alone 1Password installation? It seems like I can't write out my local vault in OPVault format. But as far as I have understood, a stand-alone installation would need it in this format, right?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

@thomaaaasb

Local vaults are backed up locally automatically. If you'd like to then back those backups up to another location you'll want to be backing up your home directory, which contains the backups. Backups can be restored using the File > Restore menu.

How can I transfer this local vault to a stand-alone 1Password installation? It seems like I can't write out my local vault in OPVault format. But as far as I have understood, a stand-alone installation would need it in this format, right?

I'm not sure I follow. Local vaults are standalone vaults, and standalone vaults are local until / unless you configure them to sync with a non-local sync provider. OPVault is a keychain sync format (before it was called OPVault it was called the "Cloud Keychain"). If you aren't syncing your data you won't have an OPVault. If you are syncing your data it sounds like you're going to be out of compliance with your contract, based on the information you've shared here. Does that help?

Ben

• thomaaaasb
    thomaaaasb
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@Ben

Local vaults are backed up locally automatically. If you'd like to then back those backups up to another location you'll want to be backing up your home directory, which contains the backups.

Where exactly are they stored? There's a "Show Files" function in Preferences, is it sufficient to have those 1p4_zip files available?

If you aren't syncing your data you won't have an OPVault. If you are syncing your data it sounds like you're going to be out of compliance with your contract, based on the information you've shared here.

There are some shared credentials we all in the project need to know. The other engineers are using 1Password stand-alone. They are using the companies internal file server platform to manually copy a OPVault back and forth. Which it seems I can't participate in when having my 1Password linked to a subscription.

To be a bit more precise: The compliance requirement mandates that data is never stored on a system operated by a 3rd-party and/or outside of the country. Thus it is perfectly fine to transfer a vault via the internal file server, while using the 1Password sync isn't ok.

• Where exactly are they stored? There's a "Show Files" function in Preferences, is it sufficient to have those 1p4_zip files available?

Yep, exactly. The location varies by version and where the app is installed from, but that "show files" button will take you to the right place.

There are some shared credentials we all in the project need to know. The other engineers are using 1Password stand-alone. They are using the companies internal file server platform to manually copy a OPVault back and forth. Which it seems I can't participate in when having my 1Password linked to a subscription.

Understood. Just to be clear: that isn't a solution we support. If it works for you: great. It isn't something we can assist with. If you want to generate an OPVault file you can do so by setting up Folder Sync. This is likely what the other engineers are doing:

https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

We highly recommend against choosing a network folder instead of a local folder as the Folder Sync location.

To be a bit more precise: The compliance requirement mandates that data is never stored on a system operated by a 3rd-party and/or outside of the country. Thus it is perfectly fine to transfer a vault via the internal file server, while using the 1Password sync isn't ok.

It may be worth checking with them if end-to-end encryption is a factor they've considered. Also, for what it's worth, we offer 1Password instances in the US (1Password.com), Canada (1Password.ca), and Germany (1Password.eu).

Ben

• thomaaaasb
    thomaaaasb
    Community Member

@Ben - thanks for your assistance!

We highly recommend against choosing a network folder instead of a local folder as the Folder Sync location.

Actually, all engineers are using a local folder. Copying up and down from the file server is done manually, which indeed is a bit of a hassle, as sometimes not all have the latest version copied down.

Also, for what it's worth, we offer 1Password instances in the US (1Password.com), Canada (1Password.ca), and Germany (1Password.eu).

Is it possible to migrate an existing account on .com to .eu?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@thomaaaasb

Is it possible to migrate an existing account on .com to .eu?

Not directly on our servers, no; .com and .eu accounts are separate data instances in different continents and jurisdictions. But what can be (relatively) easily done is, if you already have a 1password.com account, to create a .eu account, add it into 1Password for Mac and then move your items over manually. The only caveat to this is: if you have a lot of Document items that are linked either to or from other items, those linkages will not transfer; you'll have to recreate them in the new .eu account.

• thomaaaasb
    thomaaaasb
    Community Member

@Lars

Thanks. And you would, after I've done such a migration, transfer the already paid money from the .com to the .eu account (so, to not have billed the accounts twice)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing is transferrable between separate servers (which is the whole point of them being separate), but we can credit the new account as needed.

This discussion has been closed.