New MAC, 1Password only has one password login listed

Options
Ciao
Ciao
Community Member

Hi, I purchased a new MAC and had the apple store do the switch from the old mac to the new. When i opened the new mac the icon was missing so i signed into my account. Some dialog box popped up about the secret key. It matched the one I originally received when i opened an account so I clicked on it but there is only 1 login and I had at least 124 logins saved. I have a 1Password.opvault in my dropbox with a modification date of when the old mac was moved to the new. Any chance to recover my passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Ciao! I'm sorry for the trouble. You're talking about two different things here: a standalone vault in Dropbox (that's the .opvault file) and the 1password.com account it sounds as if you opened. I can't say for certain without taking a closer look at your Mac (which sounds like it would be impossible at this point, since you switched Macs). But it sounds as if you might have opened a 1password.com account but also never deleted your older standalone Primary vault (synced via Dropbox). Could that have been the case? What happens when you click 1Password's Preferences > Vaults -- how many vaults do you see there, and what are their names?

• Ciao
    Ciao
    Community Member
    Options

I only have one vault now - Personal. Before it had more choices but i always just went to personal.

• Ciao
    Ciao
    Community Member
    Options

Can you direct me to Preferences>Vaults? I'm not even seeing that option...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ciao - in the 1Password 7 app, click the 1Password menu item at the very top left of your Mac's screen, just to the right of the apple-shaped menu. In the drop-down for that menu, you'll find an option for Preferences. Click that, and a window will open, listing 1Password's user-configurable Preferences. Along the top of this window will be several icons for the various categories of Preferences. One of them will be called "Vaults." That's the one I'm asking about.

However, you're saying you only have a Personal vault now. That means you're signed into a 1password.com account. If it has only a single item in it, then my guess above becomes even more likely: you have had a 1password.com account, but you've also had a local (standalone) Primary vault, synced via OPVault in Dropbox, and it is here that you've actually been storing/using your data. To address this, we're going to import that vault into your current 1Password setup, then transfer all of its data over into your 1password.com account's "Personal" vault (the one that's already visible in 1Password on this new Mac). Here's what to do:

1. Open 1Password's Preferences > Advanced (very similar to the instructions in the first paragraph, but make sure to choose "Advanced" from the top row of icons.
    2. Look for a check-box titled "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts," and check it (turn it on). You will be asked to input your Master Password in order to be able to do this, and then you'll be asked to give the NEW vault you're creating a password, too. Choose the same password.
    3. Once this new Primary vault has been created, return to 1Password Preferences, but this time, choose the Sync icon. There should be only one vault visible in this view, the Primary vault you just created. Set the drop-down menu to the right to "Dropbox." Click the "Choose" button to find your Dropbox folder, and navigate to it in that window. Select the OPVault file, and sync with that. Give it a moment or two to sync, and you can close Preferences and return to the main 1Password window. Make sure you can see all of your data in the Primary vault.
    4. Follow these instructions to move and your data over from the Primary vault into your 1Password account's Personal vault.
    5. Once you're certain the data has been successfully transferred, return to 1Password Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove the Primary vault, leaving you now running only your 1password.com account, with all your data inside it.

Do you have other devices on which you use a 1Password app with this data?

• Ciao
    Ciao
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!!! All is back!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ciao - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great rest of your week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• Brazad
    Brazad
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I just bought a new iMac and used Migration Assistant to move all my data over. I am sad to say I have never had so much trouble moving something over to a new Mac and most of the issues revolved around 1Password. As much as I love 1Password, this process is an absolute nightmare. I've been reading posts of this forum for over an hour and tried lots of things, but nothing seemed to get 1Password working like normal again.
    1Password seems to be syncing via Dropbox, but each time I invoke 1Password mini on a website, the sheet with the big green "Subscribe Today" button shows up and nothing is entered into my browser.

Please help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Brazad - I'm sorry for the trouble! What version of 1Password were you running on your previous Mac, and from where was it purchased - or are you a 1password.com member?

• Brazad
    Brazad
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Version 7.2.5 on the old Mac and the new one as well. I purchased from Agilebits. Not a 1password.com member.
    I have the troubleshooter if needed. I've been here before. :-(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Brazad - did you apply your license to the new copy of 1Password on the new Mac? If you click 1Password > License, what do you see? Or is there a "Read Only" badge on your data, in details view? The pop-up you included a screenshot of is the Purchase Options window, which will only appear if you have not authorized 1Password 7 for Mac by either applying a standalone license file or adding a current 1password.com account.

• Brazad
    Brazad
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I don't see the read only badge, but I don't see the option for 1Password > License either. I do have a standalone license.

• Brazad
    Brazad
    Community Member
    Options

I got this sorted out.
    The first time I tried to open 1Password on my new Mac, it downloaded a copy from the Apple store. I since trashed that copy and downloaded from the Agilebits website. That was the issue. SHEESH!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @Brazad! :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.