Changed/new passwords appear as duplicates of entries '1Password 7'

Options
mkoerber
mkoerber
Community Member

I am running 1P as part of our corporate password strategy with several vaults.

Whenever i create or change a password, it is immediate flagged as a duplicate,
and the duplicates are all separate entries named '1Password 7',
which are created in my primary vault (which is usually not where the originals are)

see redacted screenshots

How can I stop this from happening?

My version is:
1Password 7
Version 7.2.2 (70202007)
Mac App Store

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mkoerber - first of all, you can set your Vault for Saving in Preferences > Vaults to whatever you wish -- it does not have to be your Primary vault. Be aware, however, this is a global setting (in other words, you can't have generated passwords sent to one vault by default and new Secure Notes created in a different default location).

Beyond that, can you tell me a bit more about how specifically you're creating these passwords? Usually, a generated password will contain information about where (or: for what) it was created. For it to read "1Password 7" and the "website" to read app://com.agilebits.onepassword7, that would mean you had to have the main 1Password app as the foreground application, then you invoked the mini (probably with a keyboard combo?) and generated the password there. Done that way, the mini would look for the front-most app - which would be 1Password 7 - and that's how you wind up with so many labeled "1Password 7." I'd recommend you create passwords from within the main 1Password app to avoid this issue. Just click the + button, choose Password for the category, and set your parameters for length, symbols, etc. You'll wind up with something that looks more like this:

• mkoerber
    mkoerber
    Community Member
    Options

That may explain it. I almost always use the 1p-mini as generator (as i have its location in muscle memory).
    Can this 'auto-save the pwd based on the open app' be disabled? In most cases when i create a password
    i do not want to save it based on on that (I often create passwords for remote servers, and the fact that I am using
    iTerm or term or some other remote access system should not dictate what it is saved as in 1P. I will create the
    entries manually.

And no, i would definitely not want this auto-save behaviour to spam auto-saved generated passwords into a shared vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mkoerber: It isn't possible to disable, as this is an important safety net to prevent all 1Password users from locking themselves out of accounts if they generate a ridiculous password and don't save a login item for it. But I think there's a pretty straightforward workaround for you. ;)

As Lars mentioned, you're getting these because you're opening 1Password mini to generate a password when you've already got the main 1Password app open and focused. So, you use (copy or fill) the generated password, and 1Password saves a Password item for that so you don't lose it...but it sounds like you're going right back and creating a Login item with it. It seems like maybe it would be smoother for you to, instead of opening 1Password mini at all, just click that + button (or press Command N) in that main 1Password window to create a new Login/Server item* right off the bat. You'll have the password generator right there in the password field, so you kind of "cut out the middle man" and save you some steps on both ends. Does that help? :)

*Definitely use a Login if you might ever want to be able to fill it using the browser extension.

This discussion has been closed.