Importing passwords from the Firefox password manager

Matthew Groves
Matthew Groves
Community Member
edited January 2012 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I was able to install the beta extension for firefox, and the "import saved firefox passwords" button seemed to work just fine.

My question: Will those same logins be available to other browsers on my computer?

I would like to find a way to make those firefox passwords available to safari on the same computer.

They don't look available, nor do those imported logins show up when I open the 1Password application.

I do realize these are betas. What's the latest word?

Thank you very much. I know you have a lot going on.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Matthew! I split your post from that other thread in order to give you the personal attention you deserve. I hope you don't mind. :)

If the Logins are successfully imported and the connection between the browser extensions and the Helper is working, you will be able to use the Logins in any supported browser: Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

It sounds like you may not be running the latest beta version of 1Password, though.

The ability to import Login items from Firefox is only available in the beta version of the 1Password extension for Firefox. The current version of the extension also requires the beta version of the 1Password application.

Since you are obviously already running the beta version of the extension (otherwise there would be no button to import from Firefox), I'm guess you just need to install the beta version of 1Password.

Could you please try the current Beta release (3.8.15.BETA-3) and see if it fixes this problem? You can do this by going to 1Password's Preferences, selecting the Update pane, enabling the "Include Beta versions" checkbox, and then clicking "Check Now". Once the update is installed, try again and see if the Logins show up in the main application.

You may need to restart Firefox.

If you are still having trouble, could you tell me exactly what version of 1Password, Firefox, and the 1Password Firefox extension you are using?
  • I'm having a similar challenge - and as a brand new user, I'm hoping to get past this hurdle into the adoption-of-the-system part of the tool. I am using osx Lion, the beta firefox extension on a newly downgraded-to Firefox 10 (in hopes that being off betas would help...) and the latest 1Password (with the beta option ticked, although from what I can see, I'm on a normal release as "latest" - version 3.815 from the website (not the app store.) It's licensed as family pack for windows and mac, and I have pretty much every conceivable configuation available to me (and I've tried many....)

Like the original poster, I have a lifetime of passwords stored in firefox, and I've tried to use the FF extention / settings / export tool. So I see the button, but when I click it, nothing seems to happen.

Has the working state of that function changed since this post? Any way at all to get my passwords into 1Password at this point? I'm open to trying anything, as I'm in a few hours already without much success.

Thanks, and looking forward to the using part, once I get set up!

Mark B
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2012
    Hey Mark,

Thanks for asking about this. There is not a beta version of the 1Password application at this time, so 3.8.15 final/stable is the one you want to be using. (When I wrote the post above it was still in beta.)

i would ask what version of the 1Password Firefox extension you are using, but I think the solution to your problem will come from reinstalling the extension anyway, so let's just cut to the chase. That will ensure you are using the current beta version of the extension (which is different than the application).
    1. In Firefox, select Tools > Add-ons from the menu bar.
    2. Click the Remove button to remove the 1Password extension.
    3. Quit Firefox.
    4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar.
    5. Copy and paste the following path and press Return:
      [font=courier new,courier,monospace]~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles[/font]
    6. Move the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]OnePassword.sqlite[/font] file you see there to the desktop.

Now install the latest beta version of the Firefox extension from this link:

https://agilebits.co...fox.html?beta=y

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the OnePassword.sqlite file on the desktop to the trash.

You may also need to restart the 1Password Helper (Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Helper) but most likely that won't be necessary.

Please let me know how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.