1password master password stolen

Help! My home was burglarized and the master password stolen. I am slowly being locked out of critical financial accounts. I hoave changed the password but should I continue to trust 1password? Do I need to migrate?

betty

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:stolen passwords

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @SnufiCheng,

Thanks for writing in, I'm sorry to hear about what happened.

You need to re-generate your Secret key as well depending on what was stolen. Here's how: https://support.1password.com/lost-device/#if-you-use-a-1password-account

I would recommend going through that article as it is used for stolen device with 1Password data on it but it'll help a bit in your situation as well. You may want to deauthorize other devices that may have been stolen.

Once you change your master password and secret key, the thief can't get in without knowing both.

• Once you finish with changing your 1Password account, we do recommend changing your web service's passwords next along with freezing/reporting your credit cards as stolen if they were in 1Password.

• Jordan Zimmerman
    Jordan Zimmerman
    Community Member

I've been researching this. If your master password is stolen AND one of your devices then all your passwords are compromised. There's no way around this right?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jordan Zimmerman,

If your Master Password is stolen, then I would recommend you to take the steps that Mike mentioned above, i.e. change your Master Password and Secret Key.

Moreover, if you lost your device as well, please check the following article on our website:

If your device was lost or stolen, and it has your 1Password data on it

I believe it is really helpful, but please let us know if you have further questions. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.