Improvement to password generation

Options
kennedy513
kennedy513
Community Member

I prefer to use the password generator in word mode because it is easier to type in if i don't have access to autofill. The issue is that the word generation doesn't meet a lot of password requirements (Capital letters and numbers) so I have to manually change the generated password. What would be super helpful is to add a digit and capital letter slider to the generator like there is on the normal generator. I think symbols would be handled by the separator. A generated password could look like horse-364-correct-batterY-staple. Thank you

1Password Version: 7.2.5.BETA-0 (70205000)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3 Beta (18D32a)
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Would you want a feature that capitalizes all the letters?

• kennedy513
    kennedy513
    Community Member
    Options

I’d want a slider that allows you to select the number of capital letters, so theoretically someone could slide it all the he way which would capitalize everything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The Wordlist password generator doesn't exist to meet password "requirements", as those inherently involve not using plain English words. Its sole purpose is to create strong passwords that are still easy for humans to remember and type. A character-based password will always be stronger (for the same length), and by that same token offers a lot more flexibility with composition since it doesn't need to conform to a language. It's possible that we might add some options like this in the future, but it does defeat much of the benefit of using a word-based password in the first place, and you'd be much better served in the vast majority of cases by using a character-based password anyway. It is good to know it's something you'd be interested in us working on in the future though. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.