I upgraded to 1Password7 and now can't use. This should've been explained better!

I upgraded to 1Password7 just now. It's in read-only mode! Nothing is clear about this process and I don't appreciate it. I purchased the program from the Apple store in 2015. Please let me know how to get this working again. I don't see the old program on my Mac now to go back to although as far as I know I didn't delete it. Do I have to purchase a membership now? I understood that if I had purchased it before I could upgrade.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:where do I find my license from when I purchased from the app store 2015

Comments

• This is so confusing. I'm not even sure 7 is the latest version. I see references to 1password X?

• upgraded to 1Password for Mac (I should've stated)

• I guess I have to buy a new license...

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @weathersbk

I'm sorry for any confusion.

I understood that if I had purchased it before I could upgrade.

Could you please let me know if there was something specific that gave you this impression? If there is misleading information out there we'd like to do our best to get that corrected. Licenses are per-version. If you purchased a 1Password 6 for Mac license, for example, it is only valid for that version. Our membership service on the other hand, which is a subscription service, gives you access to whatever the latest version of 1Password is for all of your devices so long as your membership is in good standing.

I guess I have to buy a new license...

That is one option, but I'd really highly encourage you to consider membership instead. It makes the whole process much easier and provides the best experience for using 1Password. You can read more about membership here:

About 1Password membership

It would also potentially be possible to revert to the version of 1Password you were using previously (assuming you were using a somewhat modern version of 1Password, such as 1Password 6). This should be considered a temporary measure though, as previous versions are no longer being updated. It is highly advisable to keep up to date with all of your software, but especially with 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

If you were to purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license you'd be back in this same spot whenever 1Password 8 for Mac is released. With a membership that would be included.

This is so confusing. I'm not even sure 7 is the latest version. I see references to 1password X?

1Password 7 is the latest version of 1Password for Mac. 1Password X is a browser extension, not a version of 1Password for Mac.

Ben

• Hi Ben - thanks for answering promptly! That reassures me that there is help out there because it does get confusing! I'll not go into all the details now because it seems to be working. I opted for the membership. There is a discrepancy between the rates though. On my mac it show 2.99 per mo. On my app on my iPhone it shows 3.99 per month. I hope I don't have to pay for the app on my iPhone monthly in addition?!
    The last setup problem I'm having is that I have duplicates in my 1Password on my iPhone app. I read in the instructions to delete the old vault. I can do that but that makes me nervous not feeling sure about my setup. But, it seems like that's what needs to be done. It's syncing to iCloud. That's what I was using under 1Password 6. But should it still be that with the membership I have now? I'm not clear on that so I'm a bit nervous to delete anything until I'm certain the sync is working correctly.
    Thanks for responding!!
    Barbara

• of course, I'm on the 30 day free trial now but I'd like to know what the correct rate is per month.

• oh yes - and now that I'm looking at the 2 vaults on my iPhone closer, I see that the older vault is syncing to iCloud. The new vault doesn't specify what it uses to sync - it just shows the number of items.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited January 12

Hi Ben - thanks for answering promptly! That reassures me that there is help out there because it does get confusing!

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

I'll not go into all the details now because it seems to be working. I opted for the membership. There is a discrepancy between the rates though. On my mac it show 2.99 per mo. On my app on my iPhone it shows 3.99 per month. I hope I don't have to pay for the app on my iPhone monthly in addition?!

The price per month varies depending on if you opt for monthly or annual billing. If you pay annually the price per month is $2.99 USD + tax. If you pay per month the price per month is $3.99 + tax. So you get a bit of a break (20%) by paying one invoice instead of twelve. It is not necessary to pay separately for 1Password for your iPhone. One membership covers access from any of your compatible devices. To avoid having and paying for multiple memberships you should sign into the same account on all devices (if you are seeing the same "Personal" vault on them then you are already).

The last setup problem I'm having is that I have duplicates in my 1Password on my iPhone app. I read in the instructions to delete the old vault. I can do that but that makes me nervous not feeling sure about my setup. But, it seems like that's what needs to be done. It's syncing to iCloud. That's what I was using under 1Password 6. But should it still be that with the membership I have now? I'm not clear on that so I'm a bit nervous to delete anything until I'm certain the sync is working correctly.

Duplicates would be a result of having both the old "Primary" vault and the new "Personal" vault. If you switch your view to the Personal vault instead of All Vaults (using the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password) you should see only one copy of each item. Once you've verified everything has landed in your Personal vault it is safe (and highly recommended) to delete the old Primary vault. If it is not deleted you run a high risk of causing confusion with what password is needed to unlock 1Password on any devices that retain the Primary vault in the future.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• and if I choose sync under settings it only shows my old vault there showing sync service as iCloud and it is active. So, I guess the vault that I have with the membership just syncs - and it doesn't show a record of it? (because it's always synced?)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Also, I forgot to mention, 1Password membership is it's own sync service. A 3rd party service such as iCloud is not required when using 1Password membership. This greatly simplifies things in that in order to set up 1Password on a new device you only need your 1Password credentials, and don't also need the credentials for a 3rd party sync service.

Ben

• ok - sounds good! I thank you greatly the help!

• I'm confused about my 1Password account login. That would be the account I'm logged into here with my username and password. That is showing up in my vault under starter kit. I was confused about my master password vs. the password I'm signing in with here - I've used the same because it seemed like that's what is asked me for. It doesn't seem like my master password should be in my vault. Will you help me understand that please? Is that correct? Shouldn't I be signing in here with a different password - not my master password? That doesn't seem secure at all.

• ok - I was wrong. That is not the case about the password for this forum. I have a different password for the forum- not my master password. But, my master password shows up in my starter kit under 1Password account. It doesn't seem like it should be there.

• In my "starter kit" under "organize" in my 1Password iPhone app.

• oh - I also see that the way I'm seeing it is because it's "tagged"

• the "starter kit" which holds my master password is tagged for some reason

• and my secret key is also in there as well - all under one entry in Logins in my vault. I just want to make sure this is correct. I remember reading something about the keys to the vault in the vault and this appears to be what I have - I don't know how it got there. Should I delete it?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@weathersbk

Accounts for this forum are unrelated to 1Password membership accounts. They're entirely separate. The Starter Kit item does indeed store your 1Password membership account credentials intentionally, and that item will be update if you ever change those credentials. Generally you shouldn't have to ever change those, though: we recommend picking a strong Master Password and sticking with it unless you have reason to believe it is compromised. I would not recommend deleting the Starter Kit item.

One thing I would suggest doing, if you haven't already, is printing your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

Ben

• Thanks Ben - yes I printed the Emergency Kit. Ok, and I will leave the Starter Kit there. I guess if someone gets to that they've already hacked in anyway now that I think about it!
    I am still not completely settled on the idea of membership. I'm not sure my needs warrant having all that although it is convenient and works really smoothly. At the end of the trial, should I decide the license will be enough, will I have the opportunity to buy a license without too much confusion? Also, will the program notify me when I'm at the end of the trial? I certainly don't want to run any risks of losing all my data if I space out the date to purchase the membership (or license) officially.
    Barbara

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks Ben - yes I printed the Emergency Kit. Ok, and I will leave the Starter Kit there. I guess if someone gets to that they've already hacked in anyway now that I think about it!

That's exactly it.

I am still not completely settled on the idea of membership. I'm not sure my needs warrant having all that although it is convenient and works really smoothly.

I'm not sure "all that" is a good way to look at it. Membership is the way forward with 1Password. It is going to provide the best and smoothest experience. Licenses are very much the "DIY" option. Some folks might prefer that, but for most it just means more work and potential for trouble.

At the end of the trial, should I decide the license will be enough, will I have the opportunity to buy a license without too much confusion?

How much confusion there is really depends on you. There isn't any confusion about it on my end. ;) There is a process to achieve this if that is what you decide you'd like to do, but I'd really highly encourage you to stick with the membership. As I say: it is the way forward. If you're interested in seeing what that process is like you can review the guide here:

https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-standalone/

Also, will the program notify me when I'm at the end of the trial? I certainly don't want to run any risks of losing all my data if I space out the date to purchase the membership (or license) officially.

You'll be sent an email before the trial ends, if you don't already have a subscription set up. If you have already set up a subscription (entered your billing details) you won't receive an email. Your membership will start immediately following the trial. That said, if your trial does end, that doesn't cause any data loss. What happens is that your account is "frozen," which prevents you from saving new items, modifying existing ones, or using the browser extensions, but you can still view all of your data.

Ben

• ok - thank you. That answers my questions about everything concerning the trial. So far so good - I do like the membership but not sure I need that much at the moment or maybe even less in the future. But, I don't want to lose my data. I'll take a look at the link you sent. You've been very helpful. I really appreciate that. The reason I was happy to begin with is that I felt like I got into paying for it (or the prospect of paying for it) just by choosing upgrade before I knew what was happening and without a thorough understanding of the options or able to go back to what I had. But, since you were available to help it worked out ok.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback, @weathersbk. Glad I was able to help. :+1:

Ben

• Hello Ben,
    I'm wondering if you can help me figure out why 1Password isn't saving my new usernames and passwords. I subscribed to 1Password for a year. It shows that it's included already for Safari but it's not working.

• under extensions in Safari I see that I have 1Password 7.2.4 installed and it's checked to automatically update

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@weathersbk: Can you be more specific? An example might help? What's a website you're having trouble with, and what are the exact steps you're taking? Knowing the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using now will be important too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file