paste new password in password history section

Options

in the latest version 7..3.xx it doesn't appear possible to "past" a password value in the password history section. i can type it in manually, but can't past an item in the password history section. i generally do this manually to make sure the section it is up to date.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 3.657
OS Version: WIN10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

password history section, not completely user "editable".

• @djmares password history is not supposed to be directly editable, but you can edit password and it will push current one to the history.

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

not supposed, and possible are two different things. in past versions it was directly editable.
    I will try your suggestion.

• I'm curious about use case for password history editing, any password change is adding to the password history (provided that value is not in the history already).

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

sometimes i have to manually enter the new password. i have one very secure site, that when a new password is entered, 1password is unable to change and update the password. it is because, and i've looked at the source code of the site, they code their login and password fields (weird), so items can't or have a hard time recognizing the item. even when properly identified in 1password as login and password, this site still won't recognize it. but at least it is available for me to check the 1password data to input proper items on the screen. so i must always manually update the password field, and thus want to manually update the password history. i will check the proper populating of the history, the next time i re-populate the password field. FYI: the sites login and password text name for those fields is uncommon, so 1password doesn't seem to be able to recognize those fields to fill in the item. thus i must manually do it, if for no other reason than to maintain proper history on my end.

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

just went in to 1password, manually "edited" the current password field, and it didn't change anything in the history section. maybe i should give it a day to update?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @djmares,

Is there a particular reason why you want to keep the password history? Are previously used passwords important in this case?

Additionally, please note that if you use a 1Password account, 1Password saves previous versions of items every time you make changes and stores them for one year. Here is how you can view (and restore) previous versions of items on 1Password.com:

View and restore previous versions of items

Let me know if this is what you need. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

must keep the history because many secure sites, don't let passwords be reused. i understand the possible auto save you have, but i would also like the capability, (except in freeform notes), to add/delete historic passwords as i choose.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @djmares,

It is not possible to delete password history at the moment. It would be an interesting feature to have, see this Rick's reply, for example.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

an interesting feature, would be to let the user decide what is included in the data record and what is not. your decision of what to include and not, is definitely not user friendly. maybe some users don't have a clue how to manage the data, but for those who wish to manage the data in the record, it would be nice to have that choice. and as always, caveat emptor.

• The struggle we have with those kinds of features is that we fear (and not without reason) that folks who don't understand how to manage that data will decide to give it a try anyway. We're humans. We fiddle with things and don't always understand the dangers of what we're doing when we do. It would be a cool feature for those who use it, but we have to very strongly consider the danger of data loss were someone to misuse such a feature.

As for the password history, I see it updating instantly when I manually change a password. Did you save the change? The password is added to history on save (until then, it's the current password, not a previously used password) so that's about the only thing I can think up off the top of my head. It definitely should work whether or not the extension is involved though.

This discussion has been closed.