Windows version wont install

I've had 1Password on my iPhone and iPad for years, but upgraded to a family plan today. I'm having trouble installing the Windows version on my laptop. It has a current OS install. When I download and run, the Ask to run prompt is displayed, but when I tell it to run, nothing happens. Task Manager does not indicate that a program is running.

1Password Version: Just downloaded
Extension Version: Not running
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Setup

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rfurnival,

Thank you for getting in touch!

If you have Windows 10, please make sure that you have all of the available updates installed. Moreover, please try to run .NET installer, reboot your PC, and check if the issue with the installation remains after that.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• easter404
    easter404
    Community Member

Hello, I'm experiencing this exact same problem. I just ran the .NET installer and rebooted as suggested above. It didn't change anything. When I attempt to install from 1PasswordSetup-7.3.657, I'm prompted to choose Run (which I do), but then nothing happens. Please advise on next troubleshooting steps.

• RickR
    RickR
    Community Member

I am also experiencing the same issue. Win10, 64 bit, all current maintenance applied, .NET Installer run with results: ".NET Framework 4.7 or a later update is already installed on this computer". Have tried turning off firewall and virus scanner, no change. 1 Password runs on internet, on my spouse's Win10, 64 bit PC, and on our iOS devices. ** 1PasswordSetup-7.3.657.exe** just won't install on my PC.

• dholtzman
    dholtzman
    Community Member

I'm having exactly the same problem on a newly updated Windows 10 virtual PC using Parallels 14 on a Mac. In addition, when I try to update from within 1Password 6, the application quits without updating. I would have assumed it was something related to the virtual environment if it weren't for the comments above.

• easter404
    easter404
    Community Member

@Greg - Next steps?

• DerCelly
    DerCelly
    Community Member

Hi,
    I got the same Problem when trying to install 1Password on my windows 10 pro PC.
    When I launch the installer in the console I can see that some files were copied to C:\%APPDATA%\Local\1Password\app\7 and it says "Installation successful" But I cannot start the copied exe. I also installed the newest .net Framework.
    Hope you can help here.

Regards
    Marcel

• DerCelly
    DerCelly
    Community Member

Hi,
    I got the same Problem when trying to install 1Password on my windows 10 pro PC.
    When I launch the installer in the console I can see that some files were copied to C:\%APPDATA%\Local\1Password\app\7 and it says "Installation successful" But I cannot start the copied exe. I also installed the newest .net Framework.
    Hope you can help here. I wanted to switch back from Enpass bacause they

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

Hello everyone,

We are investigating this issue at the moment. If you can't launch the installer or 1Password app doesn't start for some reason, please do the following:

1) Reproduce the issue.

2) Create a crash report from Event Viewer.

3) If there is nothing there, please check if you see any log files in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs.

4) Attach the crash report and (or) the latest log file to the email addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

This information will be really helpful and we will take a closer look at what is going on. Thank you!

BTW, if you have difficulties finding that log folder, open Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs there and press Enter.

++
    Greg

• DerCelly
    DerCelly
    Community Member

I solved the problem this way: Delete the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ then the installer starts correctly. I had an old version there (switched to Enpass because of the missing offline sync)

• easter404
    easter404
    Community Member

@DerCelly - That tip worked! I also had an old version in that folder, even though I had uninstalled the previous version. Thanks!

• Thanks for sharing the tip,. @DerCelly and for letting us know it worked for you as well @easter404! It sounds like perhaps our new installer isn't properly coping with super old versions of the app. If either of you recall what old version you had even if just that it was "some version of 1Password 6" that would be awesome to know. If not, no worries, I'm off to test and I'll figure it out. :chuffed:

• DerCelly
    DerCelly
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate,
    sorry I don't know which old version was installed, I thought I deinstalled everything quite long ago due to the reason I mentioned above.
    I only can see that the old files are from the October 2016 if this will help you.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DerCelly,

It is indeed very helpful. Sounds like Kate's hunch about old versions of the app is correct, but we will investigate further. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

• DerCelly
    DerCelly
    Community Member

Welcome ;)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@DerCelly: :+1: :)

• RichardStartz
    RichardStartz
    Community Member

I had been having the same problem (Windows 10). Updates didn't run. I deleted 1password and tried to re-install. Still no luck. Then I followed the user suggestion about and deleted 1Password's %localappdata%. Install of a fresh version worked perfectly!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance. Cheers! :)

• olentz
    olentz
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

tl;dr = Delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ folder!

I had the old 1password 4 for windows (using the old non-subscription license key) installed on the machine & 1password app on my phone. I upgraded to 1password.com account & it works wonderfully on my phone. Now I tried to install 1password 7 on my Windows machine, but it doesn't do anything. I uninstalled the old 1password 4, restart, safe mode - nothing happened. Then I deleted %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ , click setup and voila - the installation screen shows up!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, that will reset the app's data so you start from a clean slate. But we'd recommend renaming the folder instead of deleting, in case there was something there you might need. Cheers! :)

• Aphobis
    Aphobis
    Community Member

I wanted to let you guys know that this is still happening as of Version 7.3.684. The solution also still appears to be the same. Just a heads up!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Aphobis: Thanks for chiming in! Did you perhaps have an database hanging around from using an old version?

• rumaih
    rumaih
    Community Member

Not working for me, I tried deleting the folder still did not help, I'm using windows 10 enterprise

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rumaih:

Can you please clarify what exactly is not working for you?

• rumaih
    rumaih
    Community Member

I double click on the installer to install the latest version of 1Password, nothing happens

• The 1Password installer won't show you any UI, @rumaih, so if you have existing data, not seeing anything when you install is expected. If you press Ctrl + Shfit + \, does that bring up 1Password? If you have 1Password folders to delete in the first place, that means 1Password is installed (they wouldn't be there if it weren't) so I suspect your issue here is a bit different.

• rumaih
    rumaih
    Community Member

Thanks @bundtkate, actually Ctrl + Shfit + \ doesn't bring up anything. I completely uninstalled the older version and deleted the related folders. I tried to run it as an administer too, no luck. By looking at the task manager while trying to lunch the installer it seems that something is preventing it from running. I suspected my anti-virus, but I have no control over that since it's controlled by my organization

• Are you sold on having the desktop app specifically on this PC, @rumaih? If something is blocking install and your organization controls the PC, there's likely to be little you can do to correct that. If your anti-virus so happens to be Malwarebytes, asking IT to update it (or updating it yourself, if possible) may help as there was a known issue there that required a Malwarebytes update and a reboot to fix. If that were the issue, though, I'd expect an error message to show and it doesn't sound like you're seeing one at all. Worth a try, if the shoe fits, but otherwise you might need to ask IT about what's preventing the install. If you don't think they'll help, or you're not specifically married to using the desktop app on this PC, then you could try 1Password X instead:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

It'll work in Chrome, Firefox, the new Chromium Edge as well as many other Chromium-based browsers and does just about everything the desktop app can do while working a bit better in restricted environments since most IT teams tend to be a bit less restrictive in browsers.

• rumaih
    rumaih
    Community Member

I'm ready running 1passwordx on chrome, but I prefer using the desktop app, my company is using Symantec endpoint protection, which I never had a problem with in the past I'll try to check with IT and see if they can help

• I can't say I've seen trouble with others using Symantec either, @rumaih. I'd also expect an error dialogue were it the AV. Mostly they don't block 1Password outright, but instead will lock up folders because they trigger an active scanning feature. Blocking isn't totally unheard of, just generally rather uncommon. In case it helps, too, we put together a little guide that covers most of the issues that generally lead to this:

https://support.1password.com/cs/cannot-complete-install/

It's probably not going to be exhaustive (there are edge cases for everything), but if you've managed to try everything there and are still having trouble, it's a solid sign it's well worth doing some extra digging. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.