Best practice for storing 2 Factor Authentication backup codes ?

vels
vels
Community Member

What is the best practice for storing 2 Factor Authentication backup codes ?

By 2 Factor Authentication backup codes I mean the codes that some providers like Dropbox and Google allow you to download incase you ever lose the mobile you have setup to receive the 2 Factor Authentication codes to.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vels: It's funny you should ask, because it almost never comes up but it did just a short while ago. :)

Generally, I'd recommend storing them in 1Password, since you'll probably be motivated to keep that not only secure but also not to lose access to it. There are different schools of thought on this though, and not everyone has the same preferences and/or risks. So depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, you may find something of interest here:

Best place to store backup 2FA codes?

Either way, happy to answer any questions. :)

• vels
    vels
    Community Member

Thanks if I wanted to is it possible for me to setup a separate vault with its own password just for these backups codes ? If so how would I do it ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vels: Not really, no. You can create local vaults, and each of those will have their own Master Password. But in practice that is not worthwhile because the app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in it either way.

• vels
    vels
    Community Member

thanks @brenty

Im think about going do the line of keeping the 2FA backup codes in a separate password manager then with a separate password.

Do you happen to know of any other password managers that i can store my vault local on disk instead ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vels - it's beyond the scope of these forums to suggest other solutions for you here, but there are plenty of them out there, from simple encrypted file programs to other password managers to...well, the choices are vast. I'm sure you can find something that will suit what you're trying to accomplish.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vels: Please see my comments here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/482881/#Comment_482881

You may find that helpful. :)

• vels
    vels
    Community Member

@brently and @Lars

Something that came to mind was that on my computer i am a "standard" user. I have an "admin" user which is just used to administer the computer, (i have access to both of these accounts). Could i just create a 1password vault for the admin user and place the 2FA backup codes in there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vels - certainly, assuming you're a standalone user. If you have a 1password.com account, then you'd just be signing into the same account, which wouldn't really help much. But if you're a standalone user, that might indeed be one potential solution. The downside of that is that you'd need to create yet another Master Password that you'd have to remember, but if you're comfortable with that, then it should work. :)

This discussion has been closed.