Issues with saving new login before testing it.

Options

Greetings,

This is probably a feature request more than a support issue, but it keeps coming up so I thought it was worth mentioning. When filling out creds for a new account different websites have different requirements for passwords and usernames, and many of them don't tell you what they are. Sometimes the username can be an email address, sometimes @ isn't allowed. It seems like every site has a different list of allowed and disallowed password chars. This leads to the following scenario:

I create a new login for a website, 1password offers me a new generated password.
So far so good, I accept the password.
Now the dialog pops up to save the password. This is where the issue starts, because:

I don't know for sure if the username/password combo I chose is going to work. If i save it now, and it doesn't work, I have to go to the app, find the login and trash it, and start over. I just went thru this with adafruit.com. Username can't have an @, so I had to go back, delete the item and try again.

And when the website doesn't state what special chars are allowed/disallowed, it's a total crapshoot whether 1password will generate a working password or not. I can turn off special chars in the generator, but that's extra work and lowers the security of the password. Same issue with length, I typically try to use 20 char, but some site only allow less, so I have to lower that threshold too. There's not much we can do about what any given website has for requirements, so we have to work around that.

One way of solving the issue, is to not offer to save the creds until the user has hit submit or whatever. This is the way Lastpass used to do it. You hit submit, then the Save New Password dialog pops up. You can see if your user/pass worked or not and either save or cancel accordingly.

To be fair, I have no idea how easy/possible implementing this would be. Maybe you guys have a better idea for handling this issue or can suggest a workflow that eliminates it. It's not a huge problem, as creating new accounts isn't something I do every day, but it happens often enough that I got annoyed enough to ask this question so it's a real pain point. :)

Thanks a ton!
Joe

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Joe! :)

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to explain the situation in detail. Our standard extension handles saving after you submit the credentials, but 1Password X does handle things differently because it displays inline, directly on the field.

I'll make sure to share your thoughts with the rest of the team. I can't make any promises, but perhaps we can improve this flow in the future. :)

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_sebastian!

Thanks for responding. I thought maybe X was doing it differently, but also thought maybe I imagined that. :) I appreciate the consideration. Like I said, not a big problem, just a little hiccup in the workflow, but it would be great if it could be done after the save.

Cheers!

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again for your thoughts, @jboren, it's always good to hear constructive feedback. :) Hope you have a great rest of the week!

This discussion has been closed.