Default 1PX shortcut in Firefox is already a Firefox default / Can't change to Ctrl + \

Windows 10 + Firefox 64

Why can I not assign the proper Ctrl + \ shortcut and why is the default Ctrl + Shift + X which doesn't work b/c FF uses it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: version 1.13.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1P.com membership

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chris Herbert: Sorry. We don't have that degree of flexibility with keyboard shortcuts with 1Password X running entirely in the browser. If in the future 1Password X could integrate with the desktop app, that could give us more leeway, having native software manage the shortcut. Until then, neither of those are available to us in Firefox, but Ctrl . will work in almost all cases, so we've made that the default.

• Chris Herbert
    Chris Herbert
    Community Member

Good to know, @brenty - thanks for your quick response as always!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@Chris Herbert: On behalf of @brety, you're very welcome.

I'm very disappointed with the shortcuts we are allowed to use as a browser extension, especially in Chrome, so it adds "fuel to the fire" so to speak on integrating with a 1Password desktop application. Unfortunately, this won't help folks who don't want to have a desktop application installed, so I'll open up some issues with the Chromium and Mozilla teams to see if we can get any improvements in this area.

If I recall correctly, Chrome doesn't allow us to have a default of ⌘ + X (Ctrl + X) even though the API documentation led us to believe that was possible in the early days. This is what ultimately lead to ⌘ + Shift + X (Ctrl + Shift + X), but we decided on that well before we had a running Firefox build. I don't want to bore you with the history, but it wasn't easy to decide on reasonable defaults, and I'm still disappointed by them. 😔

For anyone who might stumble upon this thread, the default keyboard shortcut to open the 1Password X pop-up can be changed from the settings page.

Have a great week @Chris Herbert!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@brenty
    "but Ctrl . will work in almost all cases, so we've made that the default"
    But it's a different shortcut than the default in the 1Password extension. Thanks for the hint. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Right. The browsers don't allow extensions to reserve just anything. So we do what we can when native apps aren't available. :)

This discussion has been closed.