Secure Desktop Suggestions

Really enjoy the update to 1Password and especially the new Secure Desktop.

Here are a few suggestions, if at all possible;

• Have a Caps Lock alert to avoid me mis-keying my master password
  • In the title bar of the password entry box it should say "1Password" to make it clear it's 1Password
  • Add an option to always boot into Secure Desktop by default (I know there's a shortcut you can use each time)

Comments

• Good idea on the capslock front, @gazu, thank you for that! We do display a CAPS indicator outside the Secure Desktop, and if there's one thing I've learned from using a smaller keyboard from time to time it's the fat fingers do happen and are bound to give you a bit of a scare while you're realizing what you've done. :wink:

Your last two are somewhat tied together. Right now, you're specifically triggering Secure Desktop. Add that to the fact that the Master Password box has a 1Password icon in its title bar and makes specific mention of the action you just triggered and I think most would be fairly comfortable that's 1Password showing up. If we were to add an option to always prompt to unlock on a Secure Desktop (assuming that's technically feasible for the moment), that line blurs a bit. It can be triggered automatically (via autolock) so beyond when I first opened 1Password for the day, I'd have some questions about whether that "Secure Desktop" was actually something malicious.

As a rule, we tend to favor requiring user action to trigger much of anything in 1Password. Automated processes are easy to exploit. The example we always cite is filling. Truly automatic autofill can result in your data being given up to a website when you didn't want it to via things like hidden forms. I can envision a similar risk with always unlocking on Secure Desktop. If one pops up now, you know it's a trap – you didn't trigger a Secure Desktop. If Secure Desktop were automatically triggered on autolock, we'd need some pretty strong indicators that the Secure Desktop you're seeing is generated by 1Password. Personally, I'd prefer maintaining the need to trigger it. I don't think we could do anything foolproof to absolutely prove that what you're seeing is 1Password that couldn't be mimicked in some way. Humans are easy to fool, but asking you to trigger that unlock request makes the task of foolish you a good bit harder.

Of course, I'd be happy to pass your feedback along to the team. It's still something worth considering. Thanks for sharing! :chuffed:

• ElVen
    ElVen
    Community Member

Hi,

I am also glad Secure Desktop is back. I remember it from 1Password 4 that I used before. I also found it annoying to have to manually click the icon each time, however from your explanation, I understand. But still, adding shortcut to open 1Pass in secure desktop would be great. Or at least pressing the shortcut for opening the app twice, or something like that. I hate clicking on small things :)

/ElVen

• @ElVen you can press Ctrl+Enter on unlock page to activate Secure Desktop, there is no need to hit that round button :)

• ElVen
    ElVen
    Community Member

Hi Sergey,

you right, I missed that one. However it would be even better to use one shortcut instead of two (I use shortcut to open 1P app - call it on to the screen, then I am clicking the shield icon - or now pressing the second shortcut). So basically, lets say I would press Ctrl+something and it would open 1Password app and the secure desktop.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @EiVen,

We do plan to add an option to default to Secure Desktop at every unlock like what 1Password 4 had and this would negate the need for another shortcut to memorize.

We're an iterative shop, we want to first test the actual feature to make sure its foundations are solid before we start adding more features on top or to polish them. It will get better in time for sure.

ref: opw/opw#3617

• ElVen
    ElVen
    Community Member

Hi MikeT,

thats fantastic! I was so used to it in 1Password 4. Also for elderly people like my parents its better to remember one shortcut, that would also open secure desktop.

Looking forward to this!

Thanks again
    /ElVen

• You're welcome and we can't wait either!

This discussion has been closed.