Sync Options in 2019?

Options
martinbeaumont
martinbeaumont
Community Member

Hey folks,
A little late to try and resolve my sync problems so apologies if these have been answered before.

I purchased 2 1Password7 licenses back in mid-2018 at $70 a pop, one for my Mac's (x2) and one Windows. I knew that Dropbox syncing was going the way of the Dodo, and this has been my sync method since first using iPassword 4 years back.

So what are my options now in 2019 for sync'ing between devices if I don't want to use your subscription service?

I can sync my mobile devices to my main iMac via the WLAN option, but I can't sync between my MacBook or my Windows PC using WLAN? So what can I do?

Many thanks, Martin.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @martinbeaumont! I'm not certain I understand your question. If you have two licenses for 1Password 7, they are still fully usable. Dropbox sync is still an excellent and fully supported choice for those using standalone 1Password (though I do wonder why people are OK with using the Dropbox cloud, but not the 1Password cloud). Especially if you've already got a working Dropbox setup, I'm not sure why you think you have to change?

• martinbeaumont
    martinbeaumont
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Appreciate the reply. I ask the question as I don't have the option within my install of 1Password to use Dropbox. Using Preferences > Sync > Dropbox - I'm shown the modal window - Disabling Sync 1Password will no longer sync with the folder. Then I can choose between Cancel or Disable Sync.

The same warning is shown if I choose either iCloud or Folder.

This warning would reasonably lead me to believe that Sync (outside your subscription service) is no longer an option.

Am I doing something wrong and that Sync options are elsewhere within the app?

Appreciate your advice,

Martin.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@martinbeaumont - if those are your options, then it sounds as if you already are using Dropbox sync. So, two questions:

1. Do you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your data within 1Password 7 for Mac, currently?
    2. What is the listed file-path of your Dropbox sync keychain, in Preferences > Sync (if any)?
  • martinbeaumont
    martinbeaumont
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars -

1. Yes my main Mac is up-to-date and complete
    2. It's empty or rather there is no path listed

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@martinbeaumont: Just to step back a second, this doesn't sound right:

I purchased 2 1Password7 licenses back in mid-2018 at $70 a pop, one for my Mac's (x2) and one Windows.

To be clear, you would only need two 1Password for Mac version 7 licenses if you are two people using it -- a single license entitles you to use that version on all of your compatible Macs, if it's just you using it. So if what you said here is accurate, you may want to reach out to sales@1password.com with the details to see if an adjustment is necessary.

It's empty or rather there is no path listed

That sounds like you haven't yet setup Dropbox sync there. Please follow the steps in this guide:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

Let us know how it goes. :)

• martinbeaumont
    martinbeaumont
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty

Re the purchase, as I understood the purchasing .. I need a license for Mac and a licence for Windows - isn't it per OS?

Yes, it's just me using it across a few different machines. So I have a couple of Mac's and a single PC, iPad and Android phone.

Just looking at my "old" Dropbox folder for 1Password, the legacyagilekeychain and the opvault show a last modified time stamp back in June '18, so I'm guessing that was the last successful sync. I could have also been when I upgraded from iPassword 6 > 7 .. hhmmm

Thanks for your reply, and I'll check out the sync with Dropbox, no doubt the troubleshooting section.

@Lars mentioned (with merit) the idea of folks ok with Dropbox and not 1Password Cloud and I agree. Once I have all my devices sync'd up I'll most probably move over to local Syncing via my Synology server, that way not exposing anything to the interwebs :-)

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Re the purchase, as I understood the purchasing .. I need a license for Mac and a licence for Windows - isn't it per OS?

@martinbeaumont: Yes, that's correct.

Yes, it's just me using it across a few different machines. So I have a couple of Mac's and a single PC, iPad and Android phone.

Thanks for clarifying. I had thought you meant you had purchased two 1Password 7 Mac licenses. Sorry!

Just looking at my "old" Dropbox folder for 1Password, the legacyagilekeychain and the opvault show a last modified time stamp back in June '18, so I'm guessing that was the last successful sync. I could have also been when I upgraded from iPassword 6 > 7 .. hhmmm

If you upgraded to 1Password 7 on either computer at that time, that would make sense. They both use OPVault now.

Thanks for your reply, and I'll check out the sync with Dropbox, no doubt the troubleshooting section.

If your Mac has all your data, this will actually be pretty simple:

1. Reset the 1Password app on your other devices -- leave it alone on your Mac
    2. Drag any 1Password vaults to your Desktop
    3. Setup Dropbox sync on your Mac
    4. Setup your other devices to use that same vault -- (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault by default

@Lars mentioned (with merit) the idea of folks ok with Dropbox and not 1Password Cloud and I agree. Once I have all my devices sync'd up I'll most probably move over to local Syncing via my Synology server, that way not exposing anything to the interwebs :-)

Just make sure you are not having 1Password try to write to a network share. You'll have a bad time and probably lose data that way if it is ever unavailable when it is trying to read/write. :scream:

This discussion has been closed.