manual save login doesn't fill form properly....

Options
4EverMaAT
4EverMaAT
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

1) Manually saved forms seem to have issues when trying to fill out the form. It seems to take what it thinks is the username and apply it to all or many of the fields. This contradicts what was just saved.

When you look at the saved password and look at "Show web form details", it looks like you have most of the form saved properly (see 2b). So why is 1p7 having such a hard time filling the form into the correct places???

2a) the website is https://www.3bb.co.th/supportcenter/contact/4/14/21

2b) If I look at the saved form details, about 90% is saved (seems like the textarea was not saved for some reason, which is the most important part as that contains a lot of info that I want repeated in that form whenever I am starting a new ticket).

3) how do we report websites that aren't playing nicely with the extension? I thought there was a way to do this right from the extension 1p4. Sometimes a user would want to report this quickly and quietly so to speak. And the diagnostic info would be "pre-gathered" so I could just focus on reporting the misbehaving website.

4) The extension "lazarus" that auto-saves form data (to some degree) seems to remember the positions. And this extension is very old. So I would imagine 1P can do this.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win8.1 x64
Sync Type: 1p.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So why is 1p7 having such a hard time filling the form into the correct places???

@4EverMaAT: Ah, sorry for the confusion. The problem you're having is you're trying to put a square peg into a round hole. :) That isn't a login form at all, so 1Password does not work well for login filling in that case. Login items, and the saving/filling processes they're involved in, are designed with logic for filling usernames and passwords into web-based login forms.

how do we report websites that aren't playing nicely with the extension? I thought there was a way to do this right from the extension 1p4.

This is the place. We used to have a facility to do that in the app, but it had a lot of problems so we removed it. We would like to do something like that again in the future...

Sometimes a user would want to report this quickly and quietly so to speak.

but...

And the diagnostic info would be "pre-gathered" so I could just focus on reporting the misbehaving website.

We don't want sensitive information being sent to us, and that would be really easy to do accidentally.

The extension "lazarus" that auto-saves form data (to some degree) seems to remember the positions. And this extension is very old. So I would imagine 1P can do this.

If our focus was something else entirely, I'm sure we could have it do what you're trying to make it do here -- essentially "replay" your interactions with a specific web page. But since that isn't what 1Password exists to do, isn't what most people use it for, and filling login credentials often requires 1Password to enter usernames and passwords into pages which differ significantly from where they were originally saved, this isn't something we support.

I hope this helps clarify, even if it doesn't make 1Password do what you had in mind. But be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So because the page does not have a specific "password" on it, you are considering this an illegitimate bug (not saving/filling the form properly)??

@4EverMaAT: It's not a bug at all. 1Password is doing exactly what it's designed to: trying to fill a login form. That's what should happen when you use the "Fill Login" keyboard shortcut, or select the Login to "Fill" using your keyboard/mouse. You're getting "weird" results because you're trying to do login filling in a place where no login filling can be done. You'll also get a weird result if you try to do Credit Card or Identity filling on a login page, because 1Password is trying to do what you told it to, but it is not a suitable place for it.

I'm misunderstanding why 1P cannot fill in the form properly

I'm sorry for not explaining it better. What you seem to be expecting is that 1Password will 1) save all of the contents of the page and 2) reproduce it exactly later. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that at all, but the reality is that is actually at odds with login filling in the real world.

As as example, a lot of people save Login items when signing up for an account, but then need to use it on a login page instead. If 1Password merely tries to restore the state of the page that was saved, it will have much more trouble filling correctly. There are a lot of "extra pieces" from sign in which are completely irrelevant for login.

Another example is that websites simply change over time. I may have saved a Login item for a website years ago at one page, but that address may not only no longer exist, but the new sign in page can be structured completely differently. If 1Password merely tries to interact with the old page as if it's the new one, things may not fill correctly, and other weird/bad interactions can happen.

1Password still struggles in either of those cases, since not all websites follow web standards. But when it doesn't see what it expects, we have a lot of fallback logic to try to help it pick the "best" fields to fill username/password into even when there is not obviously a perfect place for it to do so. That's part of what you're seeing. 1Password is trying its best to fill a login form, because you're telling it that's what the page is by virtue of selecting a Login item to fill.

As I mentioned earlier, we could certainly design a completely different function in the future meant for generic "web form reproduction" (for lack of a better term), but that would be an entirely different function that would require its own development, testing, and support processes on an ongoing basis. And at this time, since login filling is what 1Password does, and what most people want it to do -- overwhelmingly -- that is our focus.

Let me know if that helps, or if you have any other questions. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And it just dawned on me that there's probably a connection here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/100294/force-1p7-to-save-a-form-or-password

To clarify, 1Password should not be offering to save for you when submitting a non-login form. So I think that's what's happened here: you tried to do it manually instead.

However, 1Password should be offering to save login credentials for you on a login page, provided you have not already saved them in 1Password. If you encounter a website where that does not happen correctly, please let us know the URL so we can investigate. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can certainly appreciate that you're trying to use technology to automate tasks, but I disagree that this is 1Password's place. There are other tools out there dedicated to text expansion and generic automation. 1Password has a very specific function, and it isn't going to get better at its job by trying to be everything to everyone. I also wouldn't feel good about 1Password being used to effectively spam support requests. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it's something that could very easily be misused.

This comes up about once a year, but that's not really something we can justify pulling resources away from other things for, especially since filling login credentials is something that requires our time and attention every day. With all of the different websites out there and our customers' collective desire for 1Password to fill passwords they could never reasonably remember or type, I don't see that changing any time soon. But maybe someday.

This discussion has been closed.