HELP! Crash upon launch 1Pass ver 3.8.22

Dear Pros!
1P has been functioning stellar for many years and happily in use until I got a new phone. An iPhone.
Suspect this is where the problem began.
Even though I don't have the app on iOS.
Could you please help me get the app working again on my desktop and laptop?
Absolutely PARALYZED without it in use!
Just downloaded the latest 1P ver 7. What do I do next, besides buying a license, in order to have access to my passwords?

Here is the crash log! What information from this crash log would help determine the problem? I have abbreviated it due to shortage in space....

Process: 1Password [5060]
Path: /Users/USER/*/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password
Identifier: ws.agile.1Password
Version: 3.8.22 (32010)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: 1Password [5060]
User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2019-01-16 21:46:28.761 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.2 (18C54)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 34E0983E-18FC-9D8B-30C5-7AA912981DE5

Sleep/Wake UUID: 48C4221F-1769-4C9D-9BCD-BB41E9253362

Time Awake Since Boot: 210000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 170000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (0), function compress_data_to_8_bit, file /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreGraphics/CoreGraphics-1249.2/CoreGraphics/Images/CGImage.c, line 640.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aeroannelli - I'm sorry for the trouble! The problem here is that you're using an extremely old version of 1Password. Version 3 was first released in 2009(!), and the final version (the one you have, 3.8.22) came out in May of 2014, almost five years ago. It will not work on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), and this isn't a bug, it's simply too old.

You will definitely need to upgrade your 1Password for Mac version, but since you've visited here, a LOT has changed. In addition to selling standalone licenses for the new version of 1Password, we also created 1password.com memberships. Either one will allow you to use 1Password 7 for Mac, but my suggestion would be the 1password.com membership, for multiple reasons.

While you're thinking that over, can you tell me if you see a 1Password.agilekeychain file in the following location?

• ~/Library/Application Support/1Password? (if you're not able to access that folder directly, please click Go > Go to Folder from your Mac's menubar in Finder, then copy and paste that file path into the pop-up window).
  • aeroannelli
    aeroannelli
    Community Member

HI @Lars! Kind thanks for your much needed help.
    Indeed there are 160 items with this extension in the "Backups" folder.
    Is that what you are looking for? What do I do next, depending on which option I choose, whether is single license or membership.
    I'm in need of serious guidance as I have to meddle on my computer in such matters in ages. I feel like a granny!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aeroannelli: A membership is much easier, since then you don't have to deal with sync configuration or license management, and your encrypted 1Password data is automatically backed up offsite, so that even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you just need to sign into your account to get it all back.

But first, you'll want to grab the newest backup that has data -- probably something dated January or December with around 160 items in it, from your description. Its name will end in .agilekeychain_zip. Rename it to .zip instead, and then double-click it to uncompress it. You'll then have your vault -- a folder ending in .agilekeychain.

From there, you just need to install the latest version from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Then set it up with either the membership or standalone license option. At that point, you'll be able to go to File > Import > 1Password Keychain to select the vault you recovered from the backup archive and add its data to the app.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• aeroannelli
    aeroannelli
    Community Member

HI! Thanks for reply.
    The only file I am able to find that slightly resembles your description is: 1Password 2009-06-24 171436 (0 items).agilekeychain_backup
    And many others which have either 60 items or 78 items respectively. Some have less. But the year is worrisome. Does that mean that I don't have other backups or they are someplace else?
    At some point I recall giving permission to backup to Dropbox. Am unable to access that file for some reason.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aeroannelli: That has no data (0 items). You'll want one of those 60 or 70 item backup archives, whichever is newest. No harm in grabbing a handful of them and dragging them to the Desktop, just in case.

Dropbox is, unfortunately, not a "backup". It will sync deleted or corrupted data just like anything else. So if your vault most recently had 0 items in it (per the backup archive), it's likely any vault in Dropbox would have 0 items as well.

Let's start with the others that do have data in them, and go from there. :)

• aeroannelli
    aeroannelli
    Community Member

HI! Thanks for help.
    All sorted. MUCH appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.