Can I delete the 1PasswordAgent from an older version of 1Password?

gcv
gcv
Community Member

I recently purchased a new Mac and migrated all of my files to it. I am cleaning out files and there is a 1Password 3 file folder that contains several file dating from 2009. However, there are two files in that same folder that have current 2019 dates on them. One is the 1Password.agilekeychain and the other 1Password Agent. The rest of the files in this folder, including a license, are from 2009. I'd like to delete any unneeded files and I want to know if I can delete all the files from the year 2009. I'm assuming I don't need them to run 1Password 7 but I thought I should reconfirm.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: OSX 10.14.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:!PasswordAgent

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gcv - not only can you, but you should, as it can sometimes interfere with the current version. Here's the best practices for removing any remaining traces of 1Password 3 for Mac that might be problematic:

• In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, then copy and paste the following in the pop-up: ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • Delete ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist if it exists. If not, move on to the next step.
    • Choose Go > Go to Folder in Finder again, and copy and paste the following: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password
    • Delete the Agent folder
    • Empty your Mac’s Trash
    • Restart your Mac

The .agilekeychain, however, is actually your data from 1Password 3 for Mac. If you've already migrated your data into the newer version (either earlier or recently as part of your migration), you can delete this file as well...but if you haven't yet moved any data into 1Password 7 for Mac, then definitely don't delete that just yet. Can you tell me whether you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your data inside 1Password 7 for Mac yet?

• gcv
    gcv
    Community Member

Hi lars,

Thanks. That said.....

I followed your instructions above for doing the searches in the Go/Go To Folder. There wasn't a .plist file in the Launch Agents. I went to the 1Password folder in Application Support and there wasn't an Agent folder. However, I did find those files in my Documents folder. I'm wonder if when I first purchased 1Password 3 I saved a copy of the files to my Documents Folder as a back-up. One reason I'm confused is that when I migrated from my old Mac to my new Mac the process changed some of the "Date Modified" dates in my Documents folder from the original dates (2009) to the date of the migration (2019).

All of my current data files and back-ups for 1Password7 are my library under group containers. Based on what I'm seeing, I think all of my current data is in the correct place, and the files I'm seeing in my Documents folder can be deleted. I'll save a back-up copy of my current data on an external hard drive and then delete the files I've got in my Documents folder - after you confirm that is the correct approach.

Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gcv - I wouldn't bother keeping a copy of those old 1Password 3 for Mac files -- you will never need them again, for anything. And as long as they're on a drive that's attached to and usable by your boot drive, they will register as present. If you meant you'll be keeping a backup copy of your 1Password 7 for Mac data, that's always a good idea. So yes, if that's what you meant, definitely go ahead with that.

This discussion has been closed.