Feature request - right-click option to copy URL

Options
SteveW928
SteveW928
Community Member

Hello, there is currently the option to right-click and copy the password, or do things such as move an entry between vaults and such. But, it would be really helpful if there were a quick-easy way to copy the URL.

(Probably applies to all versions, as I'd like it in Windows too, and iOS if it isn't there.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteveW928 - I'm not quite sure what you're referring to -- are you right-clicking on a Login item in the item list column? If so, there's the option to copy the password there, but not the option to copy the URL, you're right. However, if you're in the main 1Password window, you can click to the right of the URL field and you'll see the option to copy the URL. Can you elaborate a bit on what you're doing specifically, and what you'd like to see? In 1Password for iOS, for example, the concept of "right-click" doesn't really apply.

If you haven't already looked through these and you're a big fan of quick-access to various functions, our list of keyboard shortcuts is here. Hope this helps! :)

• SteveW928
    SteveW928
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Yes, the main items in the item list column. on macOS & Windows. Yes, iOS would be it's own use-case and I haven't worked with that enough... but I'd probably want some quick way to get the URL there too, if there isn't already.

The current problem is that the way to get the URL, is to go to the URL field, then drop-down, then pick the 2nd option. Since copy the URL quite a bit (maybe more than use open and auto-fill via the browser plugin, currently) it would be really nice to have a simple right-click on the main item and get that from the menu.

Thanks much, -Steve

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteveW928 - OK, thanks for clarifying. In 1Password, by far the most-used action is open and fill, not copy, which is why that action has primacy of place in the drop-down. That's not likely to change because it IS the most-used action, but also because millions of users have become accustomed to it being this way, and we place a very high bar on making changes to things that will affect everyone's workflow or force them to re-learn different steps to accomplish actions they're accustomed to doing a certain way already.

I'll pass along your thoughts regarding making the URL more-easily copyable, however, and thanks for taking the time to explain your use-case to us.

• SteveW928
    SteveW928
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, I certainly wouldn't expect you to replace the primary action with that, but just consider making it more accessible in some way.

The problem is that I don't just use Safari (or a single, primary browser). I use multiple browsers and even multiple apps. So, 'open and fill' only works for some portion of my entries (and sometimes that fails too.... though at least it opens the URL then). It would be nice if it worked better for situations where 'open and fill' doesn't work. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteveW928 - thank YOU for explaining your use case to us. :)

• SteveW928
    SteveW928
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars... just to make it even more clear about what I'm looking for, cf....

Thanks,
    -Steve

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the screenshot @SteveW928!

If you use multiple browsers, could you use the browser extension directly, instead of doing this from the desktop app? This way, no matter what browser you are using (even if it's not the default one), you could automatically open pages directly in the browser you need, without having to copy the URL manually.

• SteveW928
    SteveW928
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how would you pick which browser gets used to open a particular item?
    I use multiple different browsers... at the same time. :)

For example, I use Safari for normal browsing, but maybe Chrome or Firefox while working on a website (design/development), and Ghost Browser for social media, etc. So, if I'm logging into Twitter, I need to launch Ghost Browser and open the correct Identity, and then fill in the username/password. If I'm opening a particular WordPress website, I might want that to open in Chrome. If I'm coming here to post, I'd probably want that to open in Safari.

And, when I used to more Terminal (command line) work, I'd often want things to open in Apple's Terminal app (ie: not a browser at all).

(Note: I'm sure browser extensions are handy for most people, most of the time. But, I'm not sure the whole UI/workflow should be built around them. This has been one of the toughest things about moving to 1Password, as my previous password manager was more 'auto-type' based and worked everywhere in a consistent manner. I suppose browser extensions have a security advantage? But, it would be nice to have the choice.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SteveW928 :)

Right now, I think you are doing something like this: you search for the item you want inside 1Password, and then you either click on "open and fill" if it can be opened in your default browser, or you copy the URL if you want to use a different browser.

If you let the extension do the work, you can install the browser extension in all of your browsers. When you run into something that you would like to open in something other than Safari, you could copy that link directly from Safari, switch to e.g. Brave, paste that link, and have the browser extension fill those details for you.

In other words, if you use the browser extensions, you could skip copying the URL from the 1Password app directly.

• SteveW928
    SteveW928
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

True, I suppose (I haven't tried that). I think I'd rather just be able to copy the URL quickly, though... and then I could still choose to have the browser extension fill, if it happens to be a browser I'm using that has such extensions.

For example, when I used the previous app, I might put something else in that URL field, like a file-path if I was using Terminal. Or, I'm sure there are browsers you don't have extensions for?

Basically, a quick way to access fields like URL, user, and password is nice for flexible workflow. (It isn't making sense to me why you wouldn't want it that way in terms of interface and UI. Frankly, I was a bit surprised - as a new 1Password user - that it wasn't there!)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteveW928 - I think I understand what you're looking for, and if you're someone like yourself who regularly uses multiple browsers in the same session and wants to copy/paste various elements to different browsers or even non-browser destinations such as Terminal, I could see it being helpful -- and I'll pass long your suggestions to the design team. I can't say whether you'll see this particular feature, however, as -- in the main 1Password window, anyway -- it's already relatively trivial to copy nearly anything from the selected item by simply moving your mouse to the right (if you're a mouse-based user) and copying from the details view with just a single click, usually. And we do place a pretty high bar for adding yet more UI options/buttons/toggles -- even to existing menu items.

I did want to mention one other thing to you, however, which is that it's sounding as if what you're really talking about here is speed and efficiency, and for that use-case (people like sysadmins or others who spend all day in front of their computers, using 1Password extensively across multiple browsers and dozens of passwords into individual systems/websites), there are the 1Password keyboard shortcuts. These are designed with the power-user in mind, who (in our experience) far more often is a keyboard user than a mouse user, since keystrokes are considerably faster than removing your hands from the keyboard and grabbing the mouse (which may be anywhere on the screen). Here's a few that may apply to your situation and help you to work even faster than an expanded contextual menu might:

Shift‑Command‑C - Copy the password of the selected item.
    Control‑Command‑C - Copy the username of the selected item.
    Shift‑Control‑Command‑C - Copy the one-time password of the selected item.
    Command‑O - Open the selected item in a separate window.

• SteveW928
    SteveW928
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,
    Yes, I am aware that I can mouse/click to get the URL, but while it is trivial, it isn't quick.
    You have to pick the entry, then locate the website field, then click on a little 'down' symbol (which is hidden until you mouse over it), and then pick from that dropdown list, to copy the URL.

And, yes, I could learn a keyboard shortcut, but as far as I can see, there isn't one for copying the URL. That would be a nice addition, as well!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteveW928 - you're correct, there's not a dedicated shortcut for copying the website/URL field. It's something we can consider adding, though it's not something we get frequent requests for, so I don't know how quickly it would get worked on, especially since there ARE other ways to accomplish it. I'll pass along your feedback, however. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.