2 MacBooks Linked to same 1Password Configuration

Options
sphardy
sphardy
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Mac

Hello - I have 1Password installed on 2 identical MacBooks, one kept for personal use and the other for business. I also have a 1Password for families subscription and both MacBooks are configured to use the same account.

I noticed that only 1 of my MacBooks was listed as an authorised in my profile settings in the 1Password for Teams control panel. A few minutes later I noticed that still only 1 MacBook was listed, but that the name had changed to my 2nd MacBook.

To try to understand this I deauthorised the listed MacBook from my 1Password account and found that BOTH MacBooks were deauthorised (my 1Password configuration was deleted locally from both MacBooks).

I separately re-authorised both MacBooks but again only 1 MacBook ever showed as authorised, and the name would change apparently depending on which machine I had used most recently. I again deauthorised the MacBook listed and again both MacBooks had their profiles removed.

Is that the correct behaviour? Should 2 MacBooks been linked like this? I don't think so as I have a Macmini also which is listed as configured to use the same account but consistently listed separately.

Am very confused... Can someone please advise?

Some additional Info: Both MacBooks were configured originally from a common TimeMachine backup. Both are 13" 2017 MacBook Pros, one with the Touchbar and one without, both running MacOS 10.14.2

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sphardy

Some additional Info: Both MacBooks were configured originally from a common TimeMachine backup. Both are 13" 2017 MacBook Pros, one with the Touchbar and one without, both running MacOS 10.14.2

Holy cow, thank you so much for including this in your post. It's such an uncommon occurrence that I shudder to think the amount of time both of us might have wasted before I got around to asking you whether this might be the case.

For privacy reasons, device UUID is not hardware-dependent, meaning that if you imaged two separate Macs from the same Time Machine backup, they'll both have that same UUID...and only show up as a single device. We don't care if you don't, so now that you know, you can choose how you want to proceed. If you'd like to have them separately-identified (and there are reasons you might), then you'd probably want to start by resetting 1Password on one Mac. Make sure there's no data in 1Password on it that you both need AND that isn't available anywhere else, and then click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. Sign back into your 1Password account in 1Password for Mac, and check the website to see whether it registers as a new device. If not, then the next step would be to Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then delete our Preferences file: ~/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist and relaunch 1Password. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

• sphardy
    sphardy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars - thanks for the comprehensive response. I figured there had to be some common ID that was being used from the original source.

Unfortunately your suggestion isn't resolving my issue however. I cleared all the 1Password data on both macbooks, completely closed 1password and deleted the preferences file - again on both. But the issue remains. So the common ID is somehow persisting.

Thoughts?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sphardy - try quitting 1Password again, fully (and make sure Safari is quit, as well), then removing this file:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist

• sphardy
    sphardy
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - problem remains. Even deleted the entire Group Container, no difference

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sphardy - you deleted ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits? The entire thing? What was the result?

• sphardy
    sphardy
    Community Member
    Options

Same deal - there was no change in behaviour

• sphardy
    sphardy
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Fixed it!!

Taking your suggestions a step further I deleted every reference to "agilebits" I could find in my Library folder on one of the MacBooks and that appears to have resolved the issue. I'm unsure what file was causing the issue, but I found lots of agilebits references hanging over, some to very old versions of 1Password (v3 or 4) but many other references to v7 in addition to the ones we've covered here.

But I now see 2 separate MacBooks linked in my Authorised devices profile.

Thanks for the guidance - let me knwo if there's info I can provide further

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sphardy - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you get things squared away, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

So, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great weekend, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.