Tray icon consistently disappears when restarting explorer.exe

Options
megaspel
megaspel
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

To use dark mode in Windows 10, you have to restart explorer, so I've automated this process a bit to happen every time I log on or at 7pm.

Everything was working fine but a recent update has caused 1password to no longer show up in the system tray after killing explorer.exe and restarting it. The only way to get it to reappear is to go into task manager, kill both 1password processes, and starting it again, which I'd rather not do every day.

I can probably automate the work-around, but I don't know why this issue suddenly started happening in the first place, and I'd rather kill and restart as few processes automatically anyway, in case I'm ever in the middle of using them when they get restarted. Plus, sometimes you just have to restart explorer to fix something anyway, so it'd be nice not to have to do a bunch of other stuff every time too.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @megaspel 1Password adds it's icon to the taskbar notification area at start. We do not yet track if explorer is crashed or restarted, so we simply don't know if it has lost our icon. If you are restarting explorer already, just restart 1Password.exe process after that as well.

• megaspel
    megaspel
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah that's my backup workaround, but it's just that this is new behaviour, normally windows would restore all the icons after restarting explorer, so I was wondering if something had changed to prevent this from happening.

• There are only 2 ways to work with taskbar icons and we are using same way in recent 1Password as we have been using for the last few years. We tried to switch to alternative in beta builds, but it caused more trouble than it worth and we reverted to original, proven method. We will keep improving though, we want icon to be present even when explorer misbehaves.

This discussion has been closed.