Difficulty upgrading to 1Password 7 [requires a membership or separate purchase]

SystemSystem

Team Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: I upgraded to 1Password7 and now can't use. This should've been explained better!.

Comments

• I've also found this process pretty confusing and frustrating. I had an annoying bug. Found a post somewhere that said it was fixed in 1Password 7. So I tried to install it. I'm now in a state where 1Password 7 is kinda half installed, constantly popping up warnings about how it can't be installed while it is running. But I also can't access any of my passwords. And I don't know that I want to move to 1Password 7, since I don't necessarily understand what it will cost me, and what I'll get for that (other than getting rid of the harmless but annoying bug that started all this). I can see there is the option to buy a license, but have been looking for a while and can't get any hint what that costs. I realize you think it would be a great idea for me to get a membership; I'd say that all depends what a license costs. As is, I've probably bought a new license... twice? over the course of years. And each time it cost me low tens of dollars as I recall. Membership is going to cost me that much each year, so there better be a pretty good benefit (or else licenses might cost much more now, but that's what I can't find anywhere).

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @RufusLeaking

And I don't know that I want to move to 1Password 7, since I don't necessarily understand what it will cost me, and what I'll get for that (other than getting rid of the harmless but annoying bug that started all this).

If you decide you'd like to revert to 1Password 6 please see these instructions:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/441130/#Comment_441130

Reverting to 1Password 6 may perhaps be a reasonable short term workaround, but it should not be considered a long term solution. 1Password 6 is no longer being developed. As a security focused company the only course of action we can recommend is staying up to date with all of your software -- especially 1Password, your OS, and your web browser.

If you'd like to read about what was new and improved in v7.0 you can do so here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

And you can read about what has been added/improved since here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

I can see there is the option to buy a license, but have been looking for a while and can't get any hint what that costs.

Licenses are normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That sale could end at any time.

I realize you think it would be a great idea for me to get a membership; I'd say that all depends what a license costs.

I'd say membership makes a lot of sense from both a financial perspective and a best-bang-for-your-buck perspective. Membership is going to provide the best experience. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

As is, I've probably bought a new license... twice? over the course of years. And each time it cost me low tens of dollars as I recall. Membership is going to cost me that much each year, so there better be a pretty good benefit (or else licenses might cost much more now, but that's what I can't find anywhere).

It sounds like you've got a stellar deal in the past. We do run sales and promotions on occasion, though going forward it is much more likely those deals will be on membership than on licenses. There is actually a deal on membership right now, which you can take advantage of if you have an iOS device and subscribe to 1Password membership through the Apple App Store on it:

1Password on the iTunes App Store

Any new customer who purchases our in-app subscription and signs up for a membership during the promotional period (now until January 31) will receive the first six months at 50% off. The six months of a half price service supersedes the 1 month free new customers normally receive.

I hope that helps.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file