Use the Password Generator without unlocking [No plans to do this]

SyberCorp
SyberCorp
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

This is more of a feature request but, it would be nice to be able to use the Password Generator without having to first unlock 1Password. For example, if I need to generate a password for something like a wireless SSID, and don't need the credentials stored in 1Password, I still have to unlock 1Password before I can access the feature, which doesn't make any sense since the generator has no function to access any stored logins and doesn't appear to pose any risk.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 64-bit
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:Password Generator

Comments

• An interesting use-case, thanks @SyberCorp. That said, I don't see us doing this, at least not with things designed as they are right now. When you use the password generator, 1Password creates a Password item with that generated password. Reason being that if, for any reason, your Login item for the password you're changing doesn't update, you at least have a backup of that password and can manually update (plus get into that account without the fuss of a password reset). I know that, for your use case, this doesn't matter. You're not storing that password in 1Password anyway. But, if we allow access to the generator without unlocking, folks who do need a record of that password may purposefully or inadvertently use the generator without unlocking. When 1Password is locked, your vault is encrypted and 1Password can't save a Password item for that vault, which would leave anyone who did need that Password item without it any time they generated one without unlocking. I know the requirement to unlock creates some friction in your case and I apologize for that, but given the risks it presents for folks who don't understand this process, I see this as something that may not be doable without running that risk. Of course, I'm happy to pass your feedback along to the development team, but just wanted to explain why things are as they are now and why that may mean this isn't something we're able to do. :+1:

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

@bundtkate I understand what you're saying but I think we're somewhat talking about 2 different things. What you seem to be talking about is editing an existing login item and clicking the Generate Password button while in Edit mode, which of course should require unlocking first. What I am talking about is right-clicking the system tray icon (or menu bar icon on macOS) where there is a direct option to launch the Password Generator, which has absolutely nothing to do with any logins. There is no previous password for it to know of because there is no login associated with the generated password.

• Oh, I understand, @SyberCorp. My point is that if the password generator is available at all while unlocked, folks may access it to update a password without unlocking even in cases where there is data to update or save. Because nothing can be updated or saved while locked, folks who did that could find themselves locked out of an account as a result. You, of course, are envisioning a scenario where nothing should be saved so it's no matter, but assuming that everyone will use a feature as is intended is a mistake. When we introduce a feature, we have to consider both how it can be used well and how it can be misused. The option to generate a password that won't be saved anywhere is great when used under the proper circumstances, but when misused can still present a danger.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

@bundtkate Gotcha. That makes sense. I guess I'm just assuming people using it would know what they're doing. Then I remember that some of them are the same ones that eat Tide Pods. :smile:

• :) No comment on that (not to mention the bird box challenges....) 😢

This discussion has been closed.