Where do I find 1Password6 Mac (family) license - it is not in my vault, and won't download anymore

Options
sagacitas
sagacitas
Community Member

I have 1Password6 Mac (family) license.
Replacing old laptop with new laptop.
Installed 1Password 6.8.9
License file not in vault (that I can see)
Download link in email no longer works

How can I find the license file?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSx 10.14.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6 license file

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @sagacitas! We actually shut down our older AgileBits license store since we're now using FastSpring for licenses in the new version 7 of 1Password (for both Windows and Mac). Legacy license files are no longer available for download, but there are a few different ways to get up and running with 1Password. To set up 1Password on a new computer, try finding your license:

• Check the Software Licenses category in 1Password.
    • If you have your license on another Mac, copy it to the new one: https://support.1password.com/cs/find-license/

Let us know if none of that works for you.

• sagacitas
    sagacitas
    Community Member
    Options

It isn't in Software Licenses category in 1Password.

I tried the support.1password.com address, but that wants a Secret Key which is, apparently, only for those with an account. I don't have an account, that I know of.

I'm trying to recover a license for 1Password6 for Mac.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Do you keep old emails? When you bought your licence there would have been an email with the licence file as an attachment, I think. Of course, as it's old, you may have deleted that email.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sagacitas - I also notice you're trying to install 1Password 6 for Mac onto macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). For the moment, that will work, but especially if you use Safari as your main browser, it may not for much longer, due to changes made by Apple in Safari 12. Essentially, they changed the extension format entirely from version 11 to version 12. 1Password 6 for Mac uses the older format that was current when macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) and Safari 11 were the current versions, but 1Password 7 for Mac uses the newer format for Safari 12. For the moment, you can still install the older style of extension that 1Password 6 for Mac uses into Safari 12, but we don't know for how much longer that's going to be the case, and Apple have already said they plan to shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery which was the repository for the older-style extensions, soon. Once they do that, 1Password 6 for Mac will not work in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) if you are a Safari user.

I understand wanting to be frugal and get as much mileage out of what you paid for as possible, and if you were still using a Mac setup where you were running High Sierra or even earlier, I'd say continue on with 1Password 6 for Mac for as long as you like as it was the current version of 1Password when those older versions of macOS were also current. But if you're staying current with your install of macOS, you should probably be upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac -- and in the not-too-distant future, you'll need to do so, if you're a Safari user.

• sagacitas
    sagacitas
    Community Member
    Options

@danco Oldest email I have (for 1Password 6 anyway, I purchased 1Password4 years earlier) only has a link to download the file, which doesn't work anymore.

@Lars buying 1Password 7 for a single machine (the rest of the machines, both mine and the families, are not going to upgrade to Mojave anytime soon) seems daft. I guess I'll simply do without on that machine.

Thank you for the assist.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sagacitas - don't get me wrong; you can still (for the moment) use 1Password 6 for Mac on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) with Safari 12. How much longer you'll be able to do that is anyone's guess, since Apple have let us know their intention to shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery. If you have other devices that are using your existing 1Password 4, 5 or 6 for Mac license, you should be able to find that license at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/License.onepassword-license. You can copy that onto a USB flash drive or even Air Drop/email it to yourself, and use it to license 1Password 6 for Mac on your Mojave-based Mac.

• sagacitas
    sagacitas
    Community Member
    Options

When I go to 2BUA8CS2C.com.agilebits instead of License I see App Store Receipts. Am I correct that this means I bought 1Password6 via the app store?

Is there any way to recover the license from this?

• Ben
    Options

When I go to 2BUA8CS2C.com.agilebits instead of License I see App Store Receipts. Am I correct that this means I bought 1Password6 via the app store?

That seems likely.

Is there any way to recover the license from this?

If you did indeed purchase 1Password there Apple has instructions for re-downloading previous purchases:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• sagacitas
    sagacitas
    Community Member
    Options

Success!

Thank you kindly to @Ben, @Lars, and @danco for the help.

Yes I know I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade to 1Password 7 before long. At least now I can plan out the transition, across all the various devices, instead of needing to do it urgently.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome @sagacitas. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.