Best options for my setup: 1Password 6 or move to 1Password 7

I've been happily using 1Password 6 for a long time. I just purchased a new Mac, and in the process (re)discovered that 1 Password 7 is out and is now a subscription model. I'm not thrilled about the sub model, but I do understand the need to have a revenue stream to pay for development and other costs. But I also have a couple older Macs I'm still using. Here's my current setup in terms of devices:
2 older MacBook Pros running El Capitan; one could be upgraded to Mojave, but the other cannot
1 new MacBook running Mojave
1 iPhone 5s running iOS 12
1 iPad Pro running iOS 12

Is it possible to install 1Password 6 on the Mojave machine?
Am I correct that the data in my 1Password 6 app/vault (on the oldest machine) will not sync if I install 1Password 7 on my newer Macs?
If I upgrade to 1 Password 7 on my Macs, do I need new apps on my iOS devices?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MeekMeek

Team Member

Hey @kabing, I'd be happy to answer you questions.

1. 1Password 7 for Mac does require macOS Sierra 10.12.6 or later, so if you can upgrade the older MacBook Pro to at least Sierra, then you should be able to run it everywhere.
    2. If you choose to run 1Password 6 on the oldest Mac, it can still sync with 1Password 7 through a subscription. You'll just need to sign into your account on each device.
    3. If you choose to upgrade to 1Password 7 and switch to a subscription, you get all the apps on every platform as part of that subscription - so you can indeed upgrade to 1Password 7 on your iOS devices as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Thank you very much! I'm thrilled to learn that 1 Password 6 and 7 can sync via subscription. My oldest MacBook cannot upgrade any further than El Capitan. After I posted my question, I found the place in the iOS app to input subscription account details.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@kabing - excellent! Glad to hear it sounds as if you were able to get everything pointed in the right direction. Let us know if you have any further questions or run into any difficulties. :)

• Reading up on the transfer process: If I leave both older Macs with 1Password 6, how do I transfer information to 1Password 7 on my new MacBook, which doesn't have 1Password on it at all? Can I do it through my iOS devices? {I ask because upgrading the one Mac that can be upgraded will be time-consuming, and I'd like to get 1 Password up and running on my new MacBook as soon as possible}

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Once the data has been migrated to your 1Password account from any of your devices you can access that data on any other device by signing into your 1Password account there. Does that address your question?

Ben

• Yes, it does, thank you.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. Once you've signed into your 1Password account we recommend removing the old "Primary" vault:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file