New Mac, forced to buy subscription (v6 no longer in Mac App Store!!!!)

Options
1PasswordUser200
1PasswordUser200
Community Member

I've been a 1Password user on Mac/iPhone/iPad since the very beginning.

We recently bought a new Mac, went to setup 1Password.

The only version on the Mac App Store is v7.

---v7 will let you open your old iCloud based
---v7 will NOT let you update or use these with Safari

You MUST buy a subscription and put the database online!

This sucks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @1PasswordUser200

If you've previously purchased 1Password 6 from the App Store you can still download it there:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support

This should be considered a temporary measure though, as previous versions are no longer being updated. It is highly advisable to keep up to date with all of your software, but especially with 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. Our membership service, which is a subscription service, gives you access to whatever the latest version of 1Password is for all of your devices so long as your membership is in good standing. You can read more about the advantages of membership here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• 1PasswordUser200
    1PasswordUser200
    Community Member
    Options

hello Ben,

No, v6 is NOT on the Mac App Store.

Please check your info and stop telling people this.

• Ben
    Options

Yes, it is. Please see the above guide for information on how to download it. :)

Ben

• 1PasswordUser200
    1PasswordUser200
    Community Member
    Options

ok, you must dig deep to find this old version.

you are obviously discouraging people from using the version they purchased, and making them

most people (like me) will just download v7 in the app store, then later figure out it doesn't work.

in the meantime, v7 installed the v7 Safari extension, which won't work with v6 and causes all sorts of confusing errors.

even if you do find v6 and install it, that v7 Safari extension is still there, and causes issues.

I suppose you are just hoping people will see too much friction and sign up for a v7 cloud subscription.

good job Ben!

• Ben
    Options

ok, you must dig deep to find this old version.

It takes two clicks:

I'm not sure I'd call that "digging deep," but I do apologize you had difficulty finding it.

I suppose you are just hoping people will see too much friction and sign up for a v7 cloud subscription.

1Password 7 with a 1Password membership is the way forward, but you're welcome to continue using v6 for as long as it continues to work for you if that's what you'd prefer. :+1:

Ben

• 1PasswordUser200
    1PasswordUser200
    Community Member
    Options

hey thanks!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. And again I do apologize that this isn't made more obvious. I hate to pass the buck, but the only way to make it more obvious within the App Store would be to continue to sell it. That's the only way the App Store allows for apps to show up in the main search (they have to be available for purchase). We feel it is pretty disingenuous to continue to sell software that is retired (no longer being developed), and so it has been removed from sale. Additionally even if we were okay with doing that having both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 in the main listing has proven to cause confusion for customers ("which should I download?" / "I downloaded the wrong one; now what?" / etc). We wanted to avoid that as much as possible. Granted it does sometimes cause the opposite problem such as it did here. It is a bit of a lesser of two evils situation.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.