To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

aussiejoe
aussiejoe
Community Member

Hi

New user here. Not sure if this is a dumb user issue or if there is a bug or something but the login/access process is driving me crazy.

I signed up for the 30 day trial, using Windows 10 laptop
Loaded up what I believe I needed to
I now have a 1PW icon on my Windows desktop (bottom right hidden icons)
I now have a 1PW icon in Firefox browser (top right) so far so good
If I click on either icon I get a pop up menu – “1PW mini” with nothing showing (i guess Im not logged in yet)
As part of the start up process I was given a sign in address as my.1password.com
On the 1Password website there is also a sign in function (do I use this instead?)
Yesterday when I signed in using my.1password.com access I got a view which showed my vault. At the top left I had a link to “settings” in which I could change stuff.
I loaded a forum site into my vault as a test and when I go to “website” in the main window I could mouse over the forum address and something like “open and login” was an option.
This all seemed to be working ok.
I then restarted my laptop and when I clicked either of the 1PW icons I got a box asking me to input my master password (not the 1PW mini I saw before). Not sure what changed?
Today, If I sign in with my.1password.com access (inputting my master password) I get a pop up saying ”1Password is read only” etc. If I close this pop up I get a welcome screen with a link access to my Vault.
What does read only mean?
The view of the vault now looks different to yesterday, my test forum link doesn’t have the “open and login” feature available, there is no “settings” but there is a link to a “my profile” function that wasn’t there yesterday.
Under “my profile” I have multiple authorized devices showing my laptop name and my Firefox sessions. Is this correct? Why so many versions of the same thing?

To me it looks like there is 2 versions of my Vault or that there is 2 types of sign ins that have different functionality. Is this correct?

Please help

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @aussiejoe,

Did you have a stand alone license for 1Password before you signed up for a 1Password.com account? Not sure why you would be seeing two versions of your vault. Is one of them labeled Primary and the other Private?

You are getting the "read only" message on 1Password 7 for Windows only correct? When you use the 1Password app on your mobile device or when you log into my.1password.com you are able to create items and edit your settings normally?

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for responding.

Never had any form of license before, first time I have ever used this product.
    My vault is just called "Personal".
    The read only issue hasn't come up so far today, but yes when using Windows or Firefox on my laptop. I haven't installed the program anywhere else but on my laptop.

So today I clicked on my 1PW icon in Windows (not in a browser) and got a pop up to input my master PW, done

Then I got another pop up “unlock using secure desktop” asking for the master PW again. Why again, done

Then my 1PW mini display pops up showing my vault contents, logins etc, ok good

If I right click on the Windows 1PW icon again I can select “open 1PW app", if I do this I get to my vault with a view that has a header bar with 1Password/Account/View/Item/Help displayed, good. This view looks and functions as I would expect it should.

If I “Exit” from this view, open Firefox and click on the icon in the browser I get prompted for the master PW, done

Then I again got another pop up “unlock using secure desktop” asking for the master PW again. Why again, done

If I click on the browser icon my 1PW mini display pops up but doesn’t show anything under “logins” but does show my vault content under “all items”. This seems inconsistent with the view I got from using the Windows based 1PW mini.

On the browser if I click on the icon, select “all items” and click on my "1PW account" details it opens a window at https://my.1password.com/home which shows Welcome to 1Password, step 1/step 2, open my vault etc plus on the top right side I have a drop down box with “my profile”, “get apps” etc.

If I click "open my vault" I get a view of my vault but it doesn’t have the same functionality as the view from “open 1PW app” I got from using the Windows based sign in.

I don’t understand why my vault view is different when using the Windows app when compared to the browser extension?

PS: I just now got a pop up box "1Password - Save login" "would i like to save this agilebits.com login to 1Password". What on earth does this mean?

Please help

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So today I clicked on my 1PW icon in Windows (not in a browser) and got a pop up to input my master PW, done
    Then I got another pop up “unlock using secure desktop” asking for the master PW again. Why again, done

@aussiejoe: Sorry for the confusion there. It sounds like you're using two different apps: 1Password X running in your browser, and 1Password for Windows running in the OS.

1Password X is designed to be used on systems where the desktop app cannot be. So it's completely separate. If you use that, you really don't need the Windows app. But if you prefer the more native, out-of-browser experience of 1Password for Windows, it has a companion extension you can use with it:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

That integrates directly with the app, so both lock/unlock together.

You can certainly use all of the above, but generally we recommend using one or the other -- 1Password X or the 1Password desktop app/extension -- to avoid confusion.

PS: I just now got a pop up box "1Password - Save login" "would i like to save this agilebits.com login to 1Password". What on earth does this mean?

The 1Password desktop app can offer to save your login credentials on websites. You can disable that in Settings > Browsers if you want, and then save login credentials manually if/when you choose to:

https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for the response.

I looked at my Firefox extension under "extensions" and it shows:

Which looks like its the correct extension to use with the Windows app. Would you agree?

I recall that when I tried to install this extension I got a failure like this:

So I went thru this procedure:
    https://support.1password.com/firefox-connection-failure/ and it worked as far as I can tell.

So Im not sure what to do next
    Please help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aussiejoe: Sorry, you lost me. You mentioned the connection issue when trying to install the extension (9/10 times that's caused by "security" software interfering with your browser's ability to actually establish a secure connection)...but you end with "it worked as far as I can tell" and then "Please help". Can you tell me what you need help with at this point? Were you able to install the extension or not?

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for trying to help.

As per my screen shot the extension that I have on Firefox appears (to me) to be the correct one for use with the Windows app, not the 1Password X extension that you thought was causing my issues.

So if the extension I have is the correct one for use with the Windows app then Im back to square one as far as trying to understand why I seem to have 2 views of my vault as I described in my January 22nd post.

Please help

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Just an update,

So I clicked on the Windows 1PW app Icon and put in my master password
    In the mini screen I click on my "1PW account"
    This opened a screen at https://my.1password.com/signin asking for my email, my secret key and my password
    Why would I need to input my email and secret key? I have already input my master password in the previous step
    Another pop up just arrived "1Password - save login" asking me to save to agilebits etc etc.
    This is getting beyond frustrating at this point

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As per my screen shot the extension that I have on Firefox appears (to me) to be the correct one for use with the Windows app, not the 1Password X extension that you thought was causing my issues.

@Aussie Chris: The companion extension for the desktop app -- as shown in your screenshot, "desktop app required" -- is the one I suggested, yes. I just wasn't certain if you had it installed currently, since your next screenshot showed an error installing it. Thanks for clarifying. :)

So if the extension I have is the correct one for use with the Windows app then Im back to square one as far as trying to understand why I seem to have 2 views of my vault as I described in my January 22nd post.

Thanks for the context. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I seem to have 2 views of my vault". But maybe the rest offers some clues:

So I clicked on the Windows 1PW app Icon and put in my master password In the mini screen
    I click on my "1PW account"
    This opened a screen at https://my.1password.com/signin asking for my email, my secret key and my password
    Why would I need to input my email and secret key? I have already input my master password in the previous step

To me that sounds like you're clicking around and interacting with completely different things. For example, if you're using the Windows desktop app/extension, you'll need to enter your Master Password to unlock and access your data. But then if you go to the 1Password website to, say, manage your account, this is not the desktop app; you'll need to sign in there to do that. Otherwise someone could just sit down at your computer and view your account in your browser, without having to sign in. That's not what we want. Hopefully that helps clarify. But if you're referring to something else, just let me know the specifics, and I'm sure I can help. :)

Another pop up just arrived "1Password - save login" asking me to save to agilebits etc etc.
    This is getting beyond frustrating at this point

I'm sorry for the frustration. But as I mentioned earlier,

The 1Password desktop app can offer to save your login credentials on websites. You can disable that in Settings > Browsers if you want, and then save login credentials manually if/when you choose to: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

1Password should offer to save login credentials when you sign into websites if you have that feature enabled. Most people find that helpful, in order to save this stuff so they have it later, without having to manually save each time. You can also just close the window if you don't happen to want to save at that time. But if you don't like the feature at all, you're free to turn that off.

Either way, let me know if there's anything else you need help with. :)

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate your help to date.

In regard to what you wrote:

"To me that sounds like you're clicking around and interacting with completely different things. For example, if you're using the Windows desktop app/extension, you'll need to enter your Master Password to unlock and access your data. But then if you go to the 1Password website ..."

Im not in the browser at all, not going to the website, just clicking on the Windows icon, signing in, then opening the mini 1PW then click on "logins" and clicking on the item that says "1 Password account". This takes me to the sign in page not to my vault.

Anyway, Im not going continue with this software anymore, its just to confusing to me.

Would you kindly confirm something for me please. I want to cancel my service so I don't get billed.
    I can get to my billing screen, and have clicked on "Billing settings". If I click on "unsubscribe from plan" will this cancel my subscription?
    Do I need to do anything else re my vault before I cancel (I have deleted the test website/login that I had in there).

Thanks again

I

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Just noticed that there is a "permanent delete account" button in my profile.
    Should I unsubscribe first from billing, then use the permanently delete account button?
    Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

Im not in the browser at all, not going to the website, just clicking on the Windows icon, signing in, then opening the mini 1PW then click on "logins" and clicking on the item that says "1 Password account". This takes me to the sign in page not to my vault.

@aussiejoe: Indeed, when you select a login item for any website saved in 1Password, it will take you to that page. So you're definitely on the website at that point, signing into the website in your browser.

Anyway, Im not going continue with this software anymore, its just to confusing to me. Would you kindly confirm something for me please. I want to cancel my service so I don't get billed. I can get to my billing screen, and have clicked on "Billing settings". If I click on "unsubscribe from plan" will this cancel my subscription? Do I need to do anything else re my vault before I cancel (I have deleted the test website/login that I had in there).

If you cancel billing or never set up payment in the first place, you will not be charged.

Just noticed that there is a "permanent delete account" button in my profile. Should I unsubscribe first from billing, then use the permanently delete account button?

That will also prevent you from being billed by us, but will also delete the account and all the data you've saved in it. Either that or just cancelling will prevent us charging you. I hope this helps!

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Thanks for the info Brenty,

All the best
    Cheers

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Just cancelled my account vis "Billing" as well as pushed the "delete my account" button.
    Got an email confirming "your subscription has been cancelled" which is great.
    But just now I got another email "Thanks for signing up" click this button to verify your account etc, ???
    Not sure whats going on now
    Please help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome. Take care. :)

• aussiejoe
    aussiejoe
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Just cancelled my account vis "Billing" as well as pushed the "delete my account" button.
    Got an email confirming "your subscription has been cancelled" which is great.
    But just now I got another email "Thanks for signing up" click this button to verify your account etc, ???
    Not sure whats going on now
    Please help

• Sounds like the latter email was either delayed from your initial signup or sent in error. Either way, you're all set now.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.