1Password not responding in Safari

Options
jim_in_dh
jim_in_dh
Community Member

Hello, the 1Password extension does not respond in Safari. Also, the menu bar icon is often unresponsive. I am also receiving recurring notifications that 1Password needs to be enabled in Safari, similar to what was discussed on another thread. I am running Mojave (10.14.2), Safari 12.0.2 and 1Password 7.2.2. The extension button does not appear to be greyed out, nor does the menu bar icon. The menu bar icon is intermittently unresponsive. Thanks for any help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jim_in_dh! I'm sorry for the trouble. I'd like you to quit Safari, then Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Delete 1Password 7 by draging the 1Password app to the Trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to.

Restart your Mac, then visit our downloads page and download the current version of 1Password (7.2.4)'s installer. Run it, and let us know if the problem persists. Thanks.

• jim_in_dh
    jim_in_dh
    Community Member
    Options

Before I delete and re-install, one observation and one question. I restarted the computer and the extension worked in Safari, but the notifications about enable the extension continue. The question is I installed from the Mac App Store, does re-installing from there work as well as from the download page? I want to avoid the "this is an app downloaded from the internet" prompt on each launch. Also, one more paranoid question, I assume deleting the app does not delete the password vault and connection info. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jim_in_dh - you shouldn't get the "downloaded from the internet" warning after the first time. When you click "OK" (or whatever it is), it should set a flag that indicates you've approved this for future launches. If that's NOT happening, and you're getting that warning every single time, something's wrong with macOS.

You can try updating your Mac App Store copy...but you said you were on version 7.2.2, which sounds odd to me, as 7.2.4 is the current version in the Mac App Store as well as on our downloads page. I'm not sure why you wouldn't already be on 7.2.4, which is why I suggested the version from our own webpage. However, if you prefer the Mac App Store version, go ahead and try updating via the Mac App Store; let me know how that goes for you.

• jim_in_dh
    jim_in_dh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. I am now on 7.2.4, have been since 1/12/19 according to the install log, not sure why I said I was on 7.2.2. Dumb user (me) perhaps? 7.2.4 update completed when I restarted system? The icons work, but I still get the notification about the extension, which I just ignore. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jim_in_dh - are you using Fast User Switching, with other user accounts on your Mac enabled? If so, that may be the cause of the the notification that 1Password needs to be enabled in Safari. To be clear, this is a bug and not anything you're doing "wrong," and it's a bug we addressed...but not until the current beta version. If you have 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, it will take a little while for this fix to hit the stable channel. if you're using our version, you can enable betas if you don't want to wait. Or you can just keep clicking "ignore" for a little longer, and it should be resolved soon.

• jim_in_dh
    jim_in_dh
    Community Member
    Options

Aha! That is it. I am using User Switching, with other accounts enabled. I am fine waiting for the version in the App store. Thanks for the help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jim_in_dh - OK, thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience until that version is released. :)

This discussion has been closed.