Password not accepted on Windows 10 App

Options

I signed up for 1Password last Thursday and downloaded the app on my Windows 10 desktop which worked fine until today. I am able to logon to 1Password via Chrome and on my phone. But am not able to use the Windows app - - it will not accept my master password no matter how many times I try. The app does not allow me to click on "New Vault on this PC" or "Open Vault on this PC". I removed the app, reinstalled and rebooted - did not work. Under help, I tried "Reset all 1Password data", rebooted, but still no changes. Any suggestions for next steps?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mlovett18,

Thank you for contacting us!

If you can sign in to your account on 1Password.com, please try to use your Setup Code to fill your account credentials in the app. Please do the following now:

1) Start over with 1Password 7 for Windows.

2) Use your Setup Code to sign in to your account in the app.

3) Let me know how it goes.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mlovett18
    mlovett18
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, your suggestion did not work. Here is a summary of my actions:

Note: I can open 1Password.com with no issues.

(1) When I open the Windows Application, my only option is to enter the Password which is NOT accepted. If I click on "1Password" in the upper left hand corner, I can not select a new vault. I can not find any way to use my set up code (Secret Key?) to sign into my account.

(2) Here is the second solution I tried: In the Windows App, I clicked on Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password data, I followed the instructions by entering the code to delete data and start over. No response. When I reopen the app, I still can not select/open a vault and have the same problem as described in (1) above.

Thank you for your help - look forward to hearing from you.
    Marion

• mlovett18
    mlovett18
    Community Member
    Options

One additional comment: I have a second laptop also on Windows 10. The App Version 7.3.657 has the SAME issues as those documented above.

• fumiyuki
    fumiyuki
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue today, but I managed to fix it.
    The problem was that application data was broken (looks like password was not able to update app data file(s)).
    I figured out when I checked logs from Generated report, and I found this error:
    "failed to move and rename 1Password data folder: Access is denied. (os error 5)"

I don't know the reason why this problem happen (maybe some Chrome 1password extension locked this file)

Solution:
    1. Remove 1Password (Add/remove programs, ...)
    2. Go to app data (win+r: %localappdata%)
    3. Remove 1password directory manually
    4. Install 1password again and configure account
    5. Say thanks, if it helped :)

(now I found similar solution in other post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/487118/#Comment_487118 - but in my case restart was not needed - just make sure that process is not running)

• @mlovett18, @fumiyuki is largely correct here. You have some old data that carried over – that's why you're just being asked for your Master Password and not the whole gamut of credentials. You don't actually need to uninstall 1Password, though, nor do you need to remove the whole 1Password folder. Instead, you just need to reset your database. Here's how:

1. Open (but don't unlock) 1Password and choose 1Password > Exit.
    2. Open Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password to search and press enter.
    3. In this folder, rename the data folder to data-backup.
      4, Open 1Password 7 and sign in again.

This will require the full gamut of your account details so it can be easier to sign in to 1Password.com, click your name in the top right and select Get the Apps, then use the "add your account directly" button from there, allowing it to open 1Password. And, of course, if you have any questions or need help along the way, please feel free to ask -- I'm happy to lend a hand. 🙂

Let me know if this gets things working for you again. 👍

• mrovery
    mrovery
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem. Thanks soo much for the walk through @bundtkate, worked great!!!

• mlovett18
    mlovett18
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate thank you so very much! Your solution worked perfectly and is much appreciated. I'll keep it handy if the problem occurs again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrovery and @mlovett18,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :) I am glad to hear you are all set now.

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always ready to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.