page not saving: gmail.com accounts.google.com

I was logging into gmail.com (new account) and I noticed that i do not get prompted to save new password.

https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/sl/pwd?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=https://mail.google.com/mail/

or gmail.com

You can use a private window (with 1password extension enabled) to reproduce this.

now Chrome it should work. Firefox and Vivaldi are saying "disconnected' for some reason in the main app settings. No idea why. i could not re-test in those browsers.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90,
OS Version: win8.1 x64
Sync Type: 1p.com

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @4EverMaAT,

Can you try logging into your Google account once more but this time tap the return key to submit the page with your password. Do you find the prompt correctly appears when you do so?

I believe so far you've been clicking the Next button. We do monitor for button clicks but to ensure we don't plague the user incessantly with false prompts we look at what was clicked and if there are any hints that would suggest this is a sign-in form. The word Next is so vague that we don't react to it because we would be worried about all the places we shouldn't. I'm not sure what the best way of handling this will end up be but I fear we could end up having to have a specific check for Google thanks to that pretty useless button.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

When it comes to the decision of whether to add a new option the answer almost always has to be no, if it isn't limited to absolutely necessary situations the preferences would rapidly spiral into a complex mess and only make the application even tougher to learn. I've seen, still use, certain applications where there's global settings, page settings and other settings and you can easily waste huge amounts of time trying to figure out where you should look for something and why can't you find that option you saw once. None of this is specific to 1Password, every application should ask itself if an option is necessary or not before adding it.

Do we need to find a way to do better here? of course and possibly if every other option is exhausted it may be the only choice is to complicate the preferences but I'm pretty confident that nobody would be happy about its inclusion and the trouble it would be guaranteed to generate. I've seen a single checkbox repeatedly cause confusion and I was quite happy when we decided just to kill that setting completely; with the best will in the world that level of customisation would certainly result in all sorts of unexpected and unintended behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.